• Remembering the 01400s

• Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.
Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.

Moderators: sery2831, CRail

by sery2831

This was never done first of all. They had a farebox mounted just inside the window with a little shelf. It would have been for off peak night time service at slow stations. Back then the trains would have been only one pair. The idea would have been that only the door by the operator opened at the stops. I assume the guard on the second car would have been doing the same as far as collecting fares and letting people out the one door.
  by 3rdrail

OK - thanks, John. Somehow, I'm not surprised that it never was put into operation. If anyone's interested in this piece and you have a sign, plate, badge, attractive blonde, etc to swap, let me know before I adapt this thing.
  by Gerry6309

The cars were designed in the McLernon era. Harebrained money saving ideas were the norm. This one was never implemented, probably because 589 was already ready to revolt. As it was, the 01400s were poor second cousins to the 01100s, the last of Ed Dana's cars.
  by 3rdrail

I'm a big fan of the 01100's. P/S made a product that was hard to beat, including the 01400's - but I agree with you about the 11's. For my money, anything Pullman historically has been a tank. Look at the East Boston No. 1 & 2 0500's. Those were the cars that would not die. Right up until the end, operators liked to bring them out in snowstorms because they didn't break down. Boston, fortunately, had a strong relationship with Pullman - from the tracklesses to R/T, through the PCC's and on up, and were much the better for it.
  by StevieC48

I knew they wernt used i just explained the principal of the idea john thanks. But answer me this I know they never used the farebox, but at STM we have the fareboxes that fit the car.
  by 3rdrail

Here's a shot for you, Robert. 01400 P/S train coming out of North Quincy Station heading inbound - 1982
http://i203.photobucket.com/albums/aa26 ... 400car.jpg
  by Robert Paniagua

Oh, nice shot, Paul. Back then of course, this was before they repainted those to the standard red & while livery of today, but I also liked that scheme too (even though I never seen them like that before except those at Cabot that were prematurely retired, since by the time I arrived in Boston in 1987, all 01400s in revenue service back then were all in red-n-white) and I also see that it was then a two car train back in those day (especially 1982 which was a good year) and Braintree was already open for business. Yes, I remember about those fare collections but they were never conducted. But yes, one nice thing I liked were the knockdown transverse cabs since you could swing the cab access door to the right unlike all newer cars which swing to the left, but the 01400s were unique in this feature.
  by 3rdrail

Here's another shot, this one at Cabot with my friend, the late George Sanborn:
  by StevieC48

Thanks for sharing the photos.
  by Robert Paniagua

3rdrail wrote:Here's another shot, this one at Cabot with my friend, the late George Sanborn:
Ive seen that photo before at Cabot Shops, that was taken in early 1988 when the UTDC 01700s were incoming for the very first time and that 01400 in blue and white was already retired due to accidental damage so it and the 0700 beside it neede to be removed to make way for the new UTDc #2 Red Liners. But the 0700 pictured there went up to Seashore while the blue 01400 was scrapped, would not return to service.
  by RailBus63

Robert Paniagua wrote: Ive seen that photo before at Cabot Shops, that was taken in early 1988 when the UTDC 01700s were incoming for the very first time and that 01400 in blue and white was already retired due to accidental damage so it and the 0700 beside it neede to be removed to make way for the new UTDc #2 Red Liners. But the 0700 pictured there went up to Seashore while the blue 01400 was scrapped, would not return to service.
Those two 01400's were 01440 and 01487. They were not accident victims - they were an oddball GE-Westinghouse pair that was left over at the end of the rebuild program. The T had scrapped three GE cars and only one Westinghouse cars during the 1970's, and although they did operate Bluebirds as mismatched GE-WH pairs for a while the Authority preferred to have GE's matched with GE's and Westinghouses matched with Westinghouses after rebuild. These two cars entered the inhouse rebuild program at Cabot (you can see that work has been done to cut a hole for the outside PA speaker) and the plan was to install WH equipment in 01440 but the work was never completed and the cars parked in the yard.

By the way, the photo is backwards (the windshield wiper is on the left side).
  by Robert Paniagua

Oh I see, so they decided not to return those two dance partners into service and lave them unfinished. Wow, I guess they should have sent them to Morrison-Knudsen for rebuilding :-)
  by jscola30

They were sitting on the outer siding today, got a good view from the commuter train this morning.
  by Gerry6309

Pullman built the 0500s in Chicago. After they acquired Osgood Bradley, all further orders for Boston were built in Worcester including the 01100s. The 01400s were the next order to come from Chicago.
  by jscola30

Same place as they were yesterday, noticed alot of the destinations are to Davis (Ashmont/Davis, Braintree/Davis).