Railroad Forums 

• Remembering the 01400s

• Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.
Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.

Moderators: sery2831, CRail

#10654  by Robert Paniagua

Well folks, I was wondering?

When was the 01400s' last revenue run? Dec 1994, or January 31, 1995? I think the latter for fan trips, but if anyone else knows, let me know here.

I'm sure many of you remember riding them, I definitely do, and they were AWESOME!

#10792  by jwhite07

According to Rollsign magazine, the last revenue trip of 01400s was December 12, 1994, cars 01452/01481-01472/01475.

The four work train cars remaining are 01469/01470-01477/01480 (the MBTA seems to have cared little about keeping married pairs of 01400s numerically intact). The work train runs at night, but it can be seen in Cabot Yard pretty much every day, easily visible from the Broadway Bridge or Foundry Street.

I believe it was one car on this train which served as the scene for the filming of Matt Damon's commute in the movie Good Will Hunting. (Never mind he missed all the stops in Southie and is shown riding along the surface portion of the line in Dorchester!!) :)

#10945  by Robert Paniagua

According to Rollsign magazine, the last revenue trip of 01400s was December 12, 1994, cars 01452/01481-01472/01475.

Oh ok, I though it was January 31, 1995 as a fan trip. this must have been a revenue regular run trip. But if there wasn't a fantrip, then no problem either.

Another thing, where did those last 01400s (01452/81 and 01472/75) go to when they made their last trip? Ashmont, Braintree, Alewife and back around the two Branches?

Not to mention, we also have 01450/55 at Seashore, hoepfully they'll be able to bring them back downhere so that we can hitch a fantrip ride on them until they are completely modified for Seashore use.

#11225  by CSX Conductor

Anybody know why the 01491 had a different shape to it's controlling end? looked a bit more aerodynamic, but I never saw any of the other 1400's with the same look.

#11285  by efin98

was that the car that had a fiberglass end added to it? I think there were a few that had something like that added for a test or looks? Would love to hear more.

#11312  by jrc520

01490/01491 had the fiberglass ends. It was like the All-Electrics - Testing. P/S wanted to try out the idea, and it ended up being perfect. Enough so that many other transit operators ordered it. Of course, we didn't save them. Go Figure.

#11754  by Robert Paniagua

Yeah, I know, they should have saved those two cars instead of 01450/55. I liked the R40 Slant-Type end they had when they put in the fiberglass. I don't think that NYCT has any fiberglass equipment prior to the R42 though.

Now if anyone wants, feel free to post your 01400 memories here! I would like to hear from some of you about the consists from the "hay day".

#11847  by typesix

Before the Bluebirds had ATC equipment installed, practically the only time they ran on the South Shore side was during snow storms. It was great to have them on the nicer track where they didn't bounce so much, were smoother riding than the Silverbirds on those tracks(none of that annoying jiggle), and to outpace autos during the snow. The operators hated having the ATC equipment installed because it took the fun out of operating.

#11877  by Robert Paniagua

Yeah, you're right, they shouldn't have installed ATO for Braintree Extension use, in fact, the whole Red Line could do without ATO even these days, so that way, operatours can do up to 60 mph. Maybe it will happen someday, but one can only dream......

#13636  by MBTA Railfan

There are some 01400 pics including the funny looking one on my website

www.geocities.com/MBTArailfan

Bob

#57692  by Robert Paniagua

Yeah I've seen those pics, and they are nice. Good site.

Also, does anyone else here who may have just joined the forum remember riding the 01400s?

#57709  by CSX Conductor

I remember riding them.

I liked how when you hit an area where the third rail changed from one side of the tracks to the other, the lights went out :P

I am also sure that obeses people preferred the 01400's because of the long bench-style seating, as opposed to hanging over a seat or two.

They also seemed to ride smoother or quieter....were they lighter?

#57741  by Robert Paniagua

I liked how when you hit an area where the third rail changed from one side of the tracks to the other, the lights went out :P

Yeah me too, that was the greatest part of them, plus that long bench seating too, it was just like the NYCTA Subway cars, every time I stepped on board a 01400, it felt like stepping into a New York City Subway R32, R10, R27/30 or and R33-36 car.

#57797  by StevieC48

I tried to get a 01400 fan trip for the last Boston Trolley Meet. My friend Garry James, Asst Supt of the Cabot Shops at the time, was all for it and was intrested in bringing the cars in to the shop and cleaning them up. But the operations dept did not want them out because they would have to have been manually blocked the entire trip and didi not want to deal with the headaches. That is what I was told. At Seashore the cars DO run short distance on a bug for now, we are currently prepaing to add poles to the blind ends at this time. I will update as necesssary. Hope this helps

#57873  by Robert Paniagua

Oh cool, glad that cars 01450/55 are getting modified for Seashore's overhead operation, but I think the other 01400 pairs that are still at Cabot, as I mentioned before, should become a "rolling" museum on the Red Line here. It would look nice too and be repainted to the original blue/white livery.

Once 01450/55 are ready to "roll" I'll be sure to "hitch a ride" on them, and get some VIDEO!!!!!!