Railroad Forums 

• Regional Rail Questions

• Discussion relating to Southeastern Pennsylvania Transportation Authority (Philadelphia Metro Area). Official web site can be found here: www.septa.com. Also including discussion related to the PATCO Speedline rapid transit operated by Delaware River Port Authority. Official web site can be found here: http://www.ridepatco.org/.
Discussion relating to Southeastern Pennsylvania Transportation Authority (Philadelphia Metro Area). Official web site can be found here: www.septa.com. Also including discussion related to the PATCO Speedline rapid transit operated by Delaware River Port Authority. Official web site can be found here: http://www.ridepatco.org/.

Moderator: AlexC

#26274  by flynnt

Hi,
I have used regional rail on an occasional basis before, but now I am using it on a daily basis. I was wondering if you could answer some questions for me.

1) What do the different lights on the side of the train signify. I think they are to signal the engineer when it is safe to operate the train. But what does each light mean specifically. Why is there a group of three and a single red light?

2) What do the two speedometers measure in the cab? Why are there two of them?

3) Does the overspeed indicator tell the engineer when he is speeding? If do, how is the message transmitted to the indicator (radio?) and how small are the speed zones?(ie how long of distances are between two different speeds?)
 #26387  by Matthew Mitchell

flynnt wrote:Hi,
What do the different lights on the side of the train signify. I think they are to signal the engineer when it is safe to operate the train. But what does each light mean specifically. Why is there a group of three and a single red light?
The single red light indicates when a door is open. Don't recall the whole details of the set of three (green, white, yellow), but they are for brakes applied/released, and one of those was converted into an indicator for automatic train stop/cab signal functioning.

#26969  by Jersey_Mike

2) What do the two speedometers measure in the cab? Why are there two of them?
One is the main one, the other is the one that the cab signal unit uses.
3) Does the overspeed indicator tell the engineer when he is speeding? If do, how is the message transmitted
The overspeed light is for use in cab signal territory as the cab signal box in the MU's perform an ATC function. There are 4 cab signals: RESTRICTING (20 mph), APPROACH (30 mph), APPROACH MEDIUM (45 mph) and CLEAR (unlimited mph). The CSS uses coded track circuts and is in use on the R5 Thorndale, R7 trenton, R2 Wilmington, R1 Airport, R8 Chestnut Hill and R3 West Trenton between JENKIN and NESH.

#27174  by blueduck577

The R3 has cab signaling up to CP Wood now.

#28390  by flynnt

One is the main one, the other is the one that the cab signal unit uses.

Thanks for the info. Could you explain this a little more? I don't understand. I'm not exactly sure what the cab signal unit is.

Also, I have noticed that on the R5, some of the trains are passenger cars pulled by an electric locomotive. Why is this setup used on this line and not elsewhere?

Thanks for answering my questions. I really appreciate it.

#28417  by Olton Hall

The green door light indicates that the door is closed and the break is released. Yellow/Amber indicates that the brakes have been applied. I don't know what the white one is for.

#28419  by blueduck577

flynnt wrote: Also, I have noticed that on the R5, some of the trains are passenger cars pulled by an electric locomotive. Why is this setup used on this line and not elsewhere?
These are push-pull trainsets. They are mainly used on express trains due to their slower acceleration but higher top speed. These aren't only used on the R5; they are also used on the R2 Warminster, R3 West Trenton, and R7 Trenton.

#31151  by flynnt

Thanks for all the info so far.

I have a couple more questions.

1) At 30th st the other day, I heard an announcement "(name of train)standby for your orders, the order runner will be over shortly". What is on these orders and why do the crews need them? Dont they know what the are scheduled to do all day?

2) Did all 3 center city RR stations used to be used by both rail lines (rdg and penn)? Did they own the stations(and therefor not let a competitor use their station?)

3)Does anyone remember 10 or so years ago when repairs were made to the R8 bridge that runs over Lincoln Drive? What modifications did Septa make to service on the R8 during the time period?(terminate the line before the bridge? stop running the R8 all together?)

#31170  by PARailWiz

I don't know about the other two questions, but 30th Street and Sububan Station were part of the Pennsy, and Market East replaced Reading Terminal which was owned by Reading Company. They never shared their center city stations.

#31206  by walt

Prior to the installation of the Center City Tunnel it would not have been physically possible for both the PRR and Reading to share all three "Center City" stations ( including 30th street). Besides, the two roads were bitter rivals, sharing only the Pennsylvania-Reading Seashore Lines in New Jersey, and in any event, PRR was never known for its "friendliness" toward other railroads.
 #31216  by Matthew Mitchell

flynnt wrote:Thanks for all the info so far.
1) At 30th st the other day, I heard an announcement "(name of train)standby for your orders, the order runner will be over shortly". What is on these orders and why do the crews need them? Dont they know what the are scheduled to do all day?
Train orders are necessary to communicate speed restrictions, areas to watch out for maintenance personnel, changes to the signals and other physical plant, and many other things.

Now at 30th Street, you'll see a set of yellow lights at the end of each platform, along with a box with light-up numbers in it. The numbers are lit whenever there are orders for trains going on a specific route (1-Airport, 2-Wilmington, etc.). When the yellow lights are on, it means there are orders for somebody, so all trains must stop and check to see if their indicator is lit. If so, they wait, and a runner delivers the orders from the 'tower' to the train.
3)Does anyone remember 10 or so years ago when repairs were made to the R8 bridge that runs over Lincoln Drive? What modifications did Septa make to service on the R8 during the time period?(terminate the line before the bridge? stop running the R8 all together?)
That's the Crehseim Valley bridge, which was completely replaced in 1987-88. R8 service was terminated at Allens Lane until the bridge was replaced.

#36576  by flynnt

blueduck577 wrote: These are push-pull trainsets. They are mainly used on express trains due to their slower acceleration but higher top speed. These aren't only used on the R5; they are also used on the R2 Warminster, R3 West Trenton, and R7 Trenton.
Where on SEPTA system can the trains go fast. I ride the R8, and it rarely seems like the maximum speed of the train is the limiting factor. More often it seems, the delays are waiting for other trains. How much faster can the express trains go than regular train?

#36651  by blueduck577

flynnt wrote:Where on SEPTA system can the trains go fast. I ride the R8, and it rarely seems like the maximum speed of the train is the limiting factor. More often it seems, the delays are waiting for other trains. How much faster can the express trains go than regular train?
On the Amtrak-owned lines that SEPTA runs on (R2 Wilmington/Newark, R5 Paoli/Thorndale, and R7 Trenton), the maximum speed for a push-pull set is track speed - usually 100 or 125 mph. I'm not sure, but I think MU sets have a limit of 75 mph.

The fastest that SEPTA trains can go on SEPTA-owned track is 79 mph on the R1 Airport. Second fastest is 70 mph on the R3 West Trenton. I think the top speed along the ex-Reading trunk is 60 mph.

I assume you ride the R8 Chestnut Hill West. That is pretty much the only line that is significantly delayed while waiting for other trains.

#36661  by Olton Hall

I believe the Silverliner IV's have a limit of 95 mph. They hit that on the R7 express' when they get behind schedule, which is most of the time.

#36667  by Clearfield

The Silverliner IV's are not governed. I rode on the R5 (PRR side) at 100mph several months ago. Actually, one speedomerter read 100, the other 102.