Railroad Forums 

Discussion relating to the past and present operations of the NYC Subway, PATH, and Staten Island Railway (SIRT).

Moderator: GirlOnTheTrain

#729763  by Passenger

Fan Railer wrote:R10-R68A have dynamic brakes
all NTT cars have regenerative brakes
dynamic and regeneratice brakes are not the same.
Yes I know the difference, just not which cars had what. Thank you.

So the R-9 just had friction brakes?
 #729896  by Fan Railer

Passenger wrote:
Fan Railer wrote:R10-R68A have dynamic brakes
all NTT cars have regenerative brakes
dynamic and regeneratice brakes are not the same.
Yes I know the difference, just not which cars had what. Thank you.

So the R-9 just had friction brakes?
yes. and they had AMUE brakes as opposed to the SMEE brakes used on the R10-R68A.
 #738644  by Trainmaster5

R36 Combine Coach wrote:First with regen systems was the R110 series in 1992.
Which has been non-functional in the R142 cars for about a year or so because it wasn't working as designed. IDK about the other NTT cars though.
 #738799  by Fan Railer

Trainmaster5 wrote:
Which has been non-functional in the R142 cars for about a year or so because it wasn't working as designed. IDK about the other NTT cars though.
what? the last time i checked, the regenerative's on the R142's are working fine.
 #739047  by Trainmaster5

Fan Railer wrote:
Trainmaster5 wrote:
what? the last time i checked, the regenerative's on the R142's are working fine.
I check every day. The regenerative brake function has been cut-out on R142 cars for about a year. It wasn't working and the Car Equipment Dept. has been trying to come up with a fix for the problem for some time. In the meantime the TOD screens all have the cut-out message displayed when the train is in operation. IIRC there was a notice to all T/Os to NOT cut the circuit breakers back in and that hasn't been rescinded yet.
 #740187  by Trainmaster5

Fan Railer wrote:ok, lemme clear something up, the regen system isn't working, but there are still electric brakes right, cause that's what i mean.
They have pneumatic friction braking systems, if that's what you're asking.
 #740197  by Fan Railer

Trainmaster5 wrote:
Fan Railer wrote:ok, lemme clear something up, the regen system isn't working, but there are still electric brakes right, cause that's what i mean.
They have pneumatic friction braking systems, if that's what you're asking.
i know that...

what i mean is the electric brake system consists of two sub systems, the regenerative system that returns energy back to the third rail, and the energy dissipating system, which takes the remaining energy that can't be absorbed by the third rail and dissipates it as heat through a series of resistors.
referencing several youtube videos (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ljCV5BZiidE), you can clearly hear the inverters and traction motors functioning as the train decelerates. this means that the electric brake system as a whole still works, however, according to you, the regenerative portion of the system does not, so that would mean all the energy is dissipated through the resistors. Otherwise, there would be no deceleration sound from the electrical equipment, and a LOT of squealing from the friction brakes, which is clearly not the case.
 #740225  by Trainmaster5

R142 Braking systems have been squealing for at least the last 6 months. Every night for the last few months 239th St and East 180th-Unionport yards have been transferring cars to 207th St yard for work to be done on the braking systems. I have yet to see a unit come back with the re-gen system in working order. I'm thinking that if one component,(.ie re-gen), is not working as designed the whole braking system suffers as a result, hence the overnight trips to 207th st for work. IIRC the regenerative braking system was one of the core components touted when the cars were ordered so I'm left to wonder how the electrical components actually perform when one of the core specs has been disabled. That would include heat dissipation also.