Railroad Forums 

• Red Line cable replacement

• Discussion related to DC area passenger rail services from Northern Virginia to Baltimore, MD. Includes Light Rail and Baltimore Subway.
Discussion related to DC area passenger rail services from Northern Virginia to Baltimore, MD. Includes Light Rail and Baltimore Subway.

Moderators: mtuandrew, therock, Robert Paniagua

#1453451  by farecard

srepetsk wrote:
It's referring to the cabling running in between the TCRs.
A) I would hope the system would fail safe when such happens.

B) 90% of the cost is labor. You'd a thunk they would put in glass instead/in addition to copper; the future benefits of which would be huge.

But it's Metro......
 #1453477  by srepetsk

They can't put in fiber between the rooms if the equipment in the rooms isn't digital. The Silver Line has redundant fiber runs between those TCRs, but that's only because it's newer equipment that can handle multiple routes.

And yes, there should be data verification/parity bits to ensure the info is correct, but I don't know any specifics about that in between TCRs.
 #1453483  by farecard

srepetsk wrote:They can't put in fiber between the rooms if the equipment in the rooms isn't digital.
Yes they can. As I said "in addition" as in: along with the immediately needed copper. Not only for not-far-in-the-future use in this application but also for others.

I don't have details but have heard they rent a metric truckload of circuits from VZ and others. Giving that on an ISO layers chart, the most important is 0 (right of way), and Metro has a lock on that aspect; they should be exploiting it to the nth.
 #1453509  by Sand Box John

@ srepetsk and farecard

My understanding from a conversation on reddit are the cables in question are vital circuit cables that connect adjacent train control rooms to one another that are used to carry the track circuit occupancy information at the ends of the territory controlled by adjacent train control room. In other words it tells train control room B06 that a train is occupying first and or second track circuit on track B2 at the south end of the B07 train control room territory. The cables are part of the block signing system.

The RTU to ROCC comm link uses T1 style channel banks carried on a SONET ring network over fiber along with most of the rest of the IP voice, video and data traffic (MetroNet) need to support the operation of the railroad.
 #1453514  by farecard

I had been told many years ago that there was some fiber but it was since saturated with the DHS Big Brother cameras, and they'd rented other circuits to cope. But maybe they got a clue somewhere along the line and upgraded the backbone.
 #1453535  by STrRedWolf

farecard wrote:I had been told many years ago that there was some fiber but it was since saturated with the DHS Big Brother cameras, and they'd rented other circuits to cope. But maybe they got a clue somewhere along the line and upgraded the backbone.
I hope they're adding a few more fiber lines then. I heard MTA had 16 fiber lines for their light rail system but after sacking someone for misconfiguring the signal network, only needed three of them lit.
 #1453583  by STrRedWolf

farecard wrote:One of many things Hogan cut from the Purple Line was the redundant fiber.
First canceling the Red Line, then BaltimoreLink, and now trimming the Purple Line's construction, which was in the works since... my college years? Wait, I did a web comic about it... November 24th, 1999?!?

Ooooh I'm glad we put in the Charger order when O'Malley was governor...
 #1453760  by MCL1981

STrRedWolf wrote:
farecard wrote:One of many things Hogan cut from the Purple Line was the redundant fiber.
First canceling the Red Line, then BaltimoreLink, and now trimming the Purple Line's construction, which was in the works since... my college years? Wait, I did a web comic about it... November 24th, 1999?!?

Ooooh I'm glad we put in the Charger order when O'Malley was governor...
Well that's what happens when someone takes office that understands money doesn't grow on trees.
 #1453834  by STrRedWolf

MCL1981 wrote:Well that's what happens when someone takes office that understands money doesn't grow on trees.
I can understand canceling the Red Line, but reworking how to build the Purple Line stinks of how the Light Rail got put in first -- as cheaply as the bond that was floated would allow.

Should of had a full subway built by now.