Railroad Forums 

• Recreating vintage station signs?

• Discussion relating to the Delaware, Lackawanna & Western, the Erie, and the resulting 1960 merger creating the Erie Lackawanna. Visit the Erie Lackawanna Historical Society at http://www.erielackhs.org/.
Discussion relating to the Delaware, Lackawanna & Western, the Erie, and the resulting 1960 merger creating the Erie Lackawanna. Visit the Erie Lackawanna Historical Society at http://www.erielackhs.org/.

Moderator: blockline4180

#569753  by WQ59B

I have only been reading & searching here for a short while, perhaps this sort of thing has been addressed already and I missed it.

In the summers I frequent Orange County, specifically near what used to be the Guymard/Graham station (between Otisville & Port Jervis), so I stomp around there regularly. I found some excellent pics thru this site of this area from 1948 when it was quite busy. All that remains of the station today is a crumbling concrete base.

I had the mad, impulsive idea to fabricate a new wooden 'station' sign (I'm a renovation contractor) as they were -say- circa the first half of the 20th century. I realize they were not all the same exact design, but I have been having trouble finding clear pics of any vintage station signage- can anyone point me towards decent pics? General dimensions would be welcome, too.

While I'm at it, I would welcome ANY information on this specific area; what years different tracks, buildings, names appeared & disappeared, and the mining/smelting operations that went on there circa 1858-1875.
 #570103  by RichM

If you can find copies of the books "The Next Station Will Be..." they're a series of photos taken by the Erie photographer I believe around 1900-1910. There were about 6-8 paperback photo books in the series, but many of the stations were built in the same era, and I think it's pretty safe to assume even back then that advertising space was sold through a central office.

Most of the photos from that period seem to show Wrigley's Gum ads, I have no idea how long they might be in place before they were replaced, whether it's like today or they stayed there for years. I couldn't tell from the photos if they were sheet advertising or painted on... but at least you can get an idea of the dimensions, framing, etc...
 #570327  by WQ59B

Thanks, RIch.
I might not have been clear, tho; I meant the station ID signage.
I've been looking the last few nights online... and have come to the quick conclusion that there was no tight spec for station ID signage, so I'm just going to get close and go from there.

Something along the lines of this; black letters, white background, but with a black border. :

>> http://www.mnjrhs.org/mnj1.jpg <<

The little spot I frequent could use another sign after 50-some years, tho there's nothing left for it to hang from. Will have to utilize some sort of post. Nutty idea, eh?
 #570535  by henry6

You've got to realize, too, that different era's, different managements, etc., produced different signs...so you've got NYLE&W, Erie, Erie Lackawanna, Conrail, NJT and MNRR just on the Southern Tier Line. Hopefully here you can get more information as the EL Society has a lot of information in thier files and membership.
 #578130  by WQ59B

No- being that there was apparently no standard, picking a year seems overly obsessive in this case. IE: I hardly know what I'm doing as it is. :wink:
I am favoring 'Graham' because that is more recent and doesn't appear to merely be using the Lake's name. Any links to decent pics of station signs still appreciated.
I will be in that area Sunday/Monday, hope I get a chance for a few pics of what's left (a few is all it will take).