• REAL problems with the 142

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey

Moderator: David

by EDM5970

Hey, D_R, lighten up. I think the NYSW Tech guys and BR&W did a pretty decent job at P'burg. The cylinder head problem was apparently a minor one (I haven't heard or read otherwise) and if there was a rules violation, it can't be blamed on the locomotive, but lies with the person running it.

To say that this locomotives days are numbered, and that it is operated by a bunch of amateurs and should be in Naparano's, is quite immature. As far as today's bearing problem, as you have reported, lets see what happens; the real story will emerge sooner or later. Things are often blown way out of proportion on these forums. It takes a lot to get a steam locomotive over the road, more than you seem to be able to imagine.

by GandyDancer

Plus, remember that although the design is from the 1920's, this locomotive was built in 1989 - it's hardly a decrepit antique. Although I doubt the Chinese applied Six Sigma quality practices, they were the last country to mass-produce steamers and they probably knew what they were doing.

by njt4172

I was waiting at Fanwood for the train to come back towing the 142, but it was just the 4149 with no steamer. Apparently the 142 was set off somewhere. Anyone know what happened this time?? I feel bad for the guys running this show. When a locomotive fails to cooperate you have no choice but to bite the bullet. Hopefully they get things squared away tomorrow.

Steve

by OCtrainguy

I was at Bound Brook shortly after twelve this afternoon waiting for the 142. I waited for over two hours without seeing the train. There were only two other people there awaiting the 142. However, CSX and NS provided some activity for me as I saw five trains during that time. In order, NS M9G, CSX Q172, CSX K277, NS 11J and NS 18G.

After 2:30, I headed to Westfield where the 142 was on a siding there. At 3:15, there was an announcement on the PA system about the 142 and the 3:30 trip was postponed to 4:30. So shortly after four o'clock I got to the road bridge near the Fanwood station with about six other people.

The train did pass going west on time. Being on the bridge as the train past was beneath us was awesome. I hung in until shortly after 5:30 at Fanwood. Due to the clouds, it was starting to get dark pretty quickly. I had a long drive home and didn't know when the 142 would be headed back to Westfield.

by n01jd1

The 142 was set out at Dunellin during the return run on the afternoon trip. Apparently the bearing/lubrication problem has once again reared its ugly head. I believe the THS mechanical people are trying to work on it to get it running for tomorrow. Alot of thanks HAS to go to the THS mechanical department and staff for thier hard work that made the afternoon trip possible at all considering the problem they faced and considering the fact they were able to get the 142 back up and running out in the field. Lets hope they can pull it off again and salvage at least one day of the weekend for thier riders.

njt4172 wrote:I was waiting at Fanwood for the train to come back towing the 142, but it was just the 4149 with no steamer. Apparently the 142 was set off somewhere. Anyone know what happened this time?? I feel bad for the guys running this show. When a locomotive fails to cooperate you have no choice but to bite the bullet. Hopefully they get things squared away tomorrow.

Steve

by nick11a

Well, I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but I went by Dunellen this morning to catch a shot of the steam engine and well, I didn't.

The excursion train was being pulled by 4150 and had 4149 pushing. I was dissapointed but hopefully they'll have it running for the noonday run, but I am not that hopefull though. :(

Well, at least I got one shot of it at Fanwood yesterday.

by njt4172

nick11a wrote:Well, I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but I went by Dunellen this morning to catch a shot of the steam engine and well, I didn't.

The excursion train was being pulled by 4150 and had 4149 pushing. I was dissapointed but hopefully they'll have it running for the noonday run, but I am not that hopefull though. :(

Well, at least I got one shot of it at Fanwood yesterday.
Good thing! Cause I wasn't going to go there today anyway!

by BigDell

142 was built in 1989....
Although I doubt the Chinese applied Six Sigma quality practices, they were the last country to mass-produce steamers and they probably knew what they were doing.
I believe it was a communist Chinese plot to ruin our excursion trips. Hit us where it hurts.... (yes, I'm just kidding, lighten up). ;-)

BigDell

by Ken W2KB

NJT4172 - thanks for supplying the numbers of the diesels. Here's a url to the photo taken this morning with the passenger extra crossing the North Branch of the Raritan. Too bad not steam. :(

http://w2kb.home.comcast.net/142nKDB.JPG

by njt4172

Ken W2KB wrote:NJT4172 - thanks for supplying the numbers of the diesels. Here's a url to the photo taken this morning with the passenger extra crossing the North Branch of the Raritan. Too bad not steam. :(

http://w2kb.home.comcast.net/142nKDB.JPG
Nice photos! Do you own a helicopter or airplane or something??

Thanks,
Steve

by Lackawanna484

GandyDancer wrote:Plus, remember that although the design is from the 1920's, this locomotive was built in 1989 - it's hardly a decrepit antique. Although I doubt the Chinese applied Six Sigma quality practices, they were the last country to mass-produce steamers and they probably knew what they were doing.
-------------

Wasn't the 142 part of an order for 4 units over three years? One sank on the way to the US, that would have been the Suskie's unit. Suskie then took an unit originally earmarked for the Boon Valley, perahps?

The Knox & Kane got one, the Valley Railroad got one, and the Suskie got the last.

by Ken W2KB

I believe that the 142 was purchased from the Valley. (?)

by EDM5970

I forget in which order they came, (I think the Valley engine was first) but the NYSW's first SY was lost at sea when the ship went down in water too deep for economic salvage operations. It was supposed to be the 141. Using the insurance money, NYSW bought the Valley's engine and numbered it 142.

The other SY is on the Knox and Kane in PA. Boone Valley has an engine that is a bit different and a little large; I seem to remember that it is an SJ class. So, there were only three SYs exported to the US, one at the bottom of the ocean, the 142 and the K&K engine.

I haven't heard or read any details of what went wrong mechanically this weekend, but "stuff" happens. When I was firing 9 at New Hope ages ago, we noticed at Buckingham Valley that there was oil running down one of the cylinder jackets. A pipe plug had come out of one of the lube lines. We brought the 9 home with a C-clamp, a block of wood and a passenger timetable wadded up as a gasket. Things happen-

D_R, you make an interesting contradicition in your various posts. You come off as a serious and concerned rail shipper, using CSX, UP and BNSF, and are apparently anti-steam, anti-fantrip and presumably anti-preservation. Yet, as someone else pointed out on another thread, you have "Railfan" as part of your screen name. Can you explain why? This does not compute.

My troll sensors are detecting some activity-
Last edited by EDM5970 on Sun Oct 03, 2004 5:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

by Ken W2KB

I'm confused. If not entertainment, e.g., 'entertaining', why do you watch/chase them?

by BigDell

I draw my entertainment or enjoyment from that, not clogging up this arteries of business with needless boy-hood fantasies of steam engines.
Whew!!!
Someone open up a window...

I think most of us are fans of something that has a very distinct, fascinating and pedigreed cultural/industrial history. There are the elements of mechanical engineering, physics, aesthetic design AND commerce involved. The history of the country and how we spread westward is intimately tied to the rails. And there is nothing wrong with saying "hey, trains are cool and its fun to see a steam engine now and then..."
Sheesh, a steam trip on a Sunday afternoon in Autumn is not going to bring commerce grinding to a halt. Its not like we're advocating bringing back the GG-1's to replace the ALP's.
I think that "not clogging up this arteries of business with needless boyhood fantasies of steam engines" line is a tad -- over the top....
;-)
BigDell