Railroad Forums 

• Reading Co./Bethlehem Crossing Signal info needed

• Discussion Related to the Reading Company 1833-1976 and it's predecessors Philadelphia and Reading Rail Road and then the Philadelphia and Reading Railway.
Discussion Related to the Reading Company 1833-1976 and it's predecessors Philadelphia and Reading Rail Road and then the Philadelphia and Reading Railway.

Moderator: Franklin Gowen

#789222  by greenwichlirr

Asked this question way back in the Bethlehem Branch thread and got no answer, so I'm hoping someone can fill me in.

This pic was taken a few years back in Bethlehem before the tracks were ripped up. Those crossings along that stretch through the city were the first crossings I have ever come in contact with that had lights like the one pictured here. What was the deal with these additional signals? Was this a Company wide standard crossing installation on The Reading, or were these here due to close clearances between the roads and the crossings?

Also, what did they do upon activation? Were they A: both solidly on; B: both lights flashing in unison with the "normal" flashers, or C: top and bottom lights flashing alternately with the normal flashers?

Now for the true long shot.....any video anywhere of one of these things in action?
 #790095  by glennk419

I believe there are a couple pedestrian signals still in operation along the Bethlehem Branch in Hatfield and Souderton, and possibly at Perkasie. They were quite prevalent along the branch and installed at most of the "in town" grade crossings.

There is also another set at the Ford Street crossing in Norristown. I remember them at several other locations along the Reading including Bridgeport, Fox Chase, Ambler, Lansdale, Telford and downtown Reading. Sadly, most are long gone.

http://www.thebluecomet.com/rdgLeesport.jpg
 #790142  by jrevans

glennk419 wrote:I believe there are a couple pedestrian signals still in operation along the Bethlehem Branch in Hatfield and Souderton, and possibly at Perkasie. They were quite prevalent along the branch and installed at most of the "in town" grade crossings.

There is also another set at the Ford Street crossing in Norristown. I remember them at several other locations along the Reading including Bridgeport, Fox Chase, Ambler, Lansdale, Telford and downtown Reading. Sadly, most are long gone.

http://www.thebluecomet.com/rdgLeesport.jpg
The ones in Telford were just removed when they redid the crossing back in 2008 or so. Supposedly ESPN/EPRY saved the pedestrian signals and although I don't know where they are, they are supposed to be "safe".
 #790342  by greenwichlirr

My main reason for the original posting is because I actually have one myself.....just the head, sadly, as it seems that the small pipe and base are VERY hard to come by nowadays. I alwayd wanted to get the thing wired up in my signal display, but never knew how it actually looked.

Thanks for all of the replies so far, gang!
 #806958  by JimBoylan

greenwichlirr wrote:it seems that the small pipe and base are VERY hard to come by nowadays.
You may have explained why the free standing one on the station side of the tracks at Langhorne, Pa., Bellevue Ave. wasn't replaced after an oil truck ran over it. The base was broken. The one on the other side of the tracks is on an "L" shaped pipe on the side of the regular crossing signal pole, like in your photo.