Railroad Forums 

• Reading & Columbia branch today

• Discussion Related to the Reading Company 1833-1976 and it's predecessors Philadelphia and Reading Rail Road and then the Philadelphia and Reading Railway.
Discussion Related to the Reading Company 1833-1976 and it's predecessors Philadelphia and Reading Rail Road and then the Philadelphia and Reading Railway.

Moderator: Franklin Gowen

#155306  by JimBoylan

Snipped from a press release posted on RailPace "Hot News":
-- Frank Sahd Salvage Center, Inc., Columbia, $239,000, for turnout and track construction and rehabilitation to restore service to a two- mile segment of out-of-service rail line. This will ensure continued service to two customers along the Reading and Columbia branch of the Middletown and Hummelstown Railroad and to promote industrial development of vacant properties along the railroad right-of-way.
-- Landisville Terminal and Transfer Co., Inc., East Hempfield Township, $125,000, for track rehabilitation for the safe movement of 286,000- pound railcars and the construction of an unloading dock for a new rail-truck transfer business.

The top grant is to put the Columbia end back in service for the 2nd or 4th time since the start of ConRail 4/1/76. The other grant is for the segment crossing the PRR Main Line at Landisville, and includes the site of the former junction with the branch to Marietta.

#163806  by SnoozerZ49

Does this mean that the track over the "horseshoe curve" that brings the track downonto Columbia is being relayed? I used to live in Marietta (1985-1987), I remember the line but can't recall how it could have made it into Marietta? I didn't know the RDG made it to Marietta?

Do you have any references that I could find on line that would show that allignment? Any info would help. Thanks

#166047  by JimBoylan

I don't think that 2 miles will get you as far from the junction in Columbia as the hoseshoe curve. The junction for Marietta was North of Pa. Rte. 23, on the part of the line still used by the Landisville Terminal RR. Check this link for older maps of the area:
http://historical.maptech.com/
Or, look at the cuts and fills on a modern Geodedic Survey map.