Railroad Forums 

• Raritan Valley Line

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey

Moderator: David

#99855  by LVRailFan1234

I recently rode NJ Transit from High Bridge to NY on the Raritan Valley Line. (It was an enjoyable trip by the way) My question is does this line extend west from High Bridge to Phillipsburg? Is it used by NS freight? Any chance in the long range future NJ transit would run trains to Phillipsburg?? Thanks

#99868  by Ken W2KB

The track extends west of High Bridge as far as I-78 at I-78 MP 3 (3 miles from PA border). That section is in good condition only to about a mile west of High Bridge, and 2 or 3 miles in the Bloomsbury area where a connector was built to the Lehigh Line for local freight service to a customer on the ex-CNJ. I believe the right of way is intact on the west side of I-78, with one bridge missing. The Liehigh Line merges into and uses the ex-CNJ line from Philiipsburg to Easton where it goes back onto the Lehigh Valley.

NJ Transit has a plan to extend RVL service to Philiippisburg and recently stated that it continues to be interested in doing so. NJT said 4 miles of track would have to be replaced, this is likely to be next to the Lehigh Line freight track using the above mentioned connector rather than reusing the CNJ ROW for those miles. The project is not funded and not expected to happen in the near future.

There are no active freight customers west of White House so no NS freights go beyond there. The Bloomsbury connector is used for the one customer out that way, as stated above.

#99873  by njtmnrrbuff

Transit could definately benefit serving the Phillipsburg area and perhaps, the Lehigh Region. On thursday, I picked up two bus timetables for Transbridge. The bus that goes to Allentown from the city takes pretty long. 78 can be a parking lot during rush hour. If train service comes across the border, more cars will be taken off the road.

#99976  by Ken W2KB

It's interesting if Transbridge takes that long. The Clinton bus park and ride is always filled to overflowing; many folks seem to prefer the bus over the train. Maybe to avoid the transfers?

#99998  by Lackawanna484

According to the current Transbridge Bus schedule, the trip from Clinton to PABT should take 80 minutes, in the heart of rush hour.

Allentown -- 620 am
Easton --650
Clinton P/R --720
PABT --840

There are a few other marked stops, such as Phillipsburg Mall, Bethlehem, Union Twp, etc. This bus doesn't stop at Newark airport

I'd be surprised if the RVL could routinely deliver pax to NYP from the High Bridge / Clinton area, with a change of trains, in 80 minutes on a consistent basis

#100113  by LVRailFan1234

I tell people that you can take the train to NY and people look at me like "why would you take the train if it is a little bit slower"? Of course people that don't like trains never will understand the fascination with them. Does anyone know if the new diesels will make it to the Raritan Valley Line or where in the system they will used? It seems like NJT is keeping its F40's and many of its GP's. I think the new diesels are just a little too modern for my tastes.