Railroad Forums 

• Raritan Valley Line Signage at Secaucus

• Discussion related to New Jersey Transit rail and light rail operations.
Discussion related to New Jersey Transit rail and light rail operations.

Moderators: lensovet, Kaback9, nick11a

#1277103  by trainbrain

Since NJT is now running some Raritan Valley Line trains through Secaucus to New York, I wondered how they sign them. All the lines that go there have a board for their trains, but the RVL doesn't. If they added one, I don't know where they'd put it. Has anyone seen what is done with those trains at Secaucus?
 #1289847  by Rahway-valley-Alex

Isn't the current schedule "experimental" or "a trial run" or something. I would imagine before they start paying for signs it would have to be made more permanent. I wish all the Newark bound trains could terminate hear, would make getting up to Morristown more practical for me. But there's really no room to turn them. :( I'm surprised there aren't passing tracks outside the building for amtrak.
 #1289951  by MACTRAXX

TB: Do you mean the automatic train info boards or signs themselves?

The automatic train info boards should use the RVL orange color and the signs on the NEC level at Secaucus Junction read:
"<Outbound - New York>"

These SJ signs should read INSTEAD of using the term "Outbound":
<NJ Points - New York>

I dislike the terms "Inbound" and "Outbound" for a number of reasons - one being that what can be considered "Inbound" to
one rider could be "Outbound" to another depending on your direction of travel...With true directions or terminal points
you do not have this problem...EX: <Trenton,Long Branch and Bay Head - Newark and New York> (at Rahway)

MACTRAXX
 #1290087  by Head-end View

Wouldn't it be reasonable to assume that on any commuter railroad associated with New York City, that "inbound" would mean TO NYC and "outbound" would mean FROM NYC?
 #1290326  by MACTRAXX

Head-end View wrote:Wouldn't it be reasonable to assume that on any commuter railroad associated with New York City, that "inbound" would mean TO NYC and "outbound" would mean FROM NYC?
H-EV: Depends on the place and situation...I am from Long Island and even though the terms "Inbound" and "Outbound"
would have made sense the LIRR is strictly a EASTBOUND and WESTBOUND Railroad...That is what I grew up with and
what I am used to...Actual compass directions or destinations are preferable to these generic terms...

Another example in which the correct terms were used are on the PATCO High Speed Line in which station directional
signs read "WESTBOUND - PHILADELPHIA" and "EASTBOUND - LINDENWOLD" which is again far and away preferable...

Any rail lines that do not terminate in a central city area and operate through should NOT use these terms because
unless you know where the boundary point is "in" will have to become "out" at some point - line destinations and
compass directions do not change...

MACTRAXX