Railroad Forums 

• Railway museums in the New York state

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.

Moderator: Otto Vondrak

#36794  by Otto Vondrak

The Empire State Railway Museum is located in the heart of the Catskill Mountain region... it is very small- just some displays inside the depot at Phonecia. Not exactly worth a whole trip just forthe museum. However, the Catskill Mountain Railroad offers short rides over the old New York Central line that runs in front of the depot. You could easily make a visit to both the Catskill Mountain Railroad and the Delaware & Ulster Railroad in one day... that would be a great trip.

http://www.durr.org/

http://udrrhs.org/levele.htm

-otto-

#37811  by BR&P

What became of the museum at Wilson NY, on the old Hojack? At one time they had a nice display in the old depot, had a wooden NYC caboose also. It has been so long since I heard anything, it's likely closed?
 #38238  by med-train

I believe it is still open. I was there about a year ago.
They have the station, the caboose, an old school house and a very nice antique car museum. :D

#69325  by Otto Vondrak

Gijs,

It looks like you had a very busy trip over here! I doubt I would do that well if I was driving around Europe by myself. Have you been here before? Sounds like to got to see a lot of different railroads- we missed you in Rochester, though. Maybe next time you will come to visit our museum? It sounds like you saw all the good stuff on the LAL, though!

I know how you felt in Butler, Pa., looking for the BLE. Unless you know exactly where a BLE train is, they are very hard to find when you're "just passing through. The only time I was there, I had a guide who showed me around and got me into some great photo spots.

-otto-

#69556  by NS3737

Otto Vondrak wrote:It looks like you had a very busy trip over here!
Yes it was, but nevertherless I felt rested and relaxed when ariving home!
Since I had about two and a hals weeks I wanted to make the most of it.
Otto Vondrak wrote: I doubt I would do that well if I was driving around Europe by myself.
Well if you can handle manual gear shift in a car it is not that bad driving in Europe. And as to knowing were to go I got some help you know. In any case if you decide to cross that big pond some day I can be of assistance and if I do not have the answeres I do know a few others who might have.
Otto Vondrak wrote: Have you been here before?
Yes in the autumn of 1994 I worked for three months in Rochester NY and again in the winter of 1995 for two months. Since I was with colleages I had not much oportunitie to pay attention to the railways in the area back then.
Otto Vondrak wrote: Sounds like to got to see a lot of different railroads-
Well I was looking for some other flavours into my photo/slide collection, and with the abundancy of short lines in the area which I visited, I very well succeded. You know an endles parade of ICE's, ICM's, Plan V's and Sprinters can get a kind of boring.
Otto Vondrak wrote: we missed you in Rochester, though. Maybe next time you will come to visit our museum?
Well if I had the time and money I could have extend my stay to two and a half months instead of two and a half weeks and still not seeing everything. Unfortunalty the Rochester museum dit not fit in this time. So may be next time whenever that will be.
Otto Vondrak wrote: It sounds like you saw all the good stuff on the LAL, though!
Yes, indeed and besides: the LA&L and affiliated roads seems to be railfan friendly and as a bonus they have Alco's!
Otto Vondrak wrote: I know how you felt in Butler, Pa., looking for the BLE. Unless you know exactly where a BLE train is, they are very hard to find when you're "just passing through. The only time I was there, I had a guide who showed me around and got me into some great photo spots.
It is hard to beat the locals but with operations like the BLE or short lines in general it can be hit or mis, but that is a risk I am willing to take.

Gijs