Railroad Forums 

• Railroaders targets of crime/road rage?

• General discussion about railroad operations, related facilities, maps, and other resources.
General discussion about railroad operations, related facilities, maps, and other resources.

Moderator: Robert Paniagua

#158554  by shortlinerailroader

I've been almost hit by a car, flipped off, cursed at, yelled at while switching. Now I just bury my head in my switch list and avoid eye contact. Going to stay out of the road--let them run into the frickin train while I avoid broken bones. I do clear up abt. every 7-10 min. and my favorite part is when they angrily tear off while I'm stretching over with 3 cars left. One conductor was sprayed with rocks as an irate driver did do-nuts. Also broke glass out of a Lincoln and a Tahoe waiting at the crossing. Lincoln and Tahoe went after the guy, conductor got his plate #...and this all happened as soon as the crossing was blocked.

Anyone else?

#158696  by GOLDEN-ARM

I must be luckier. I am told I am "number 1", while I am sitting on a crossing, almost daily, waiting for the ground guys to do only God knows what. (that extended arm, and raised middle finger does mean number 1, doesn't it....) I love it when some guy tries to "intimidate" me by blowing his horn. I might hold mine down for a full minute, or more, to show him what a real horn sounds like. Once, while heading east, on the Lehigh Line, our train went into emergency, while approaching Potter. We rolled to a stop, in rush hour traffic, with the drawhead sealing the crossing shut. The conductor got off, and was sprinting towards the hind-end, looking for the hole. (the air didn't come back up) After about 2-3 minutes, the first car on my side starts getting irate. he is yelling, in his car, then he starts honking. I am fully reclined, in the seat, looking like I am about to go to sleep. The idiot finally gets up the nerve to exit his car, and approach the loco, screaming at me, through the open cab window. As he reaches for the grabirons, the brakeman, an old CNJ friend named "Pudge" decides to "greet" the guy, on the front porch, of our Sd-40. "Pudge" Schaller is about 6 foot tall, but he goes about 280, maybe 290 pounds. He looks like as mountain, to the driver, who falls on his ass, trying to run back, and lock himself into his car. Pudge was just going to say "to be patient, we will be moving shortly" That was the best time I ever had at a crossing, except for those "Jerry Springer" moments.................Regards :wink:
 #158708  by CSX Conductor

shortlinerailroader wrote:Going to stay out of the road--let them run into the frickin train while I avoid broken bones. I do clear up abt. every 7-10 min.
But if you don't even try to protect the crossing the company will try to hang you if there is an accident.

7 to 10 minutes can get alot of traffic backed-up, I break the crossing every3 to 5 if I can.

As for the road-ragers, have you reported this to either your trainmaster or the police, or both?

#158755  by AEM7Fan

GOLDEN-ARM wrote:I must be luckier. I am told I am "number 1", while I am sitting on a crossing, almost daily, waiting for the ground guys to do only God knows what. (that extended arm, and raised middle finger does mean number 1, doesn't it....) I love it when some guy tries to "intimidate" me by blowing his horn. I might hold mine down for a full minute, or more, to show him what a real horn sounds like. Once, while heading east, on the Lehigh Line, our train went into emergency, while approaching Potter. We rolled to a stop, in rush hour traffic, with the drawhead sealing the crossing shut. The conductor got off, and was sprinting towards the hind-end, looking for the hole. (the air didn't come back up) After about 2-3 minutes, the first car on my side starts getting irate. he is yelling, in his car, then he starts honking. I am fully reclined, in the seat, looking like I am about to go to sleep. The idiot finally gets up the nerve to exit his car, and approach the loco, screaming at me, through the open cab window. As he reaches for the grabirons, the brakeman, an old CNJ friend named "Pudge" decides to "greet" the guy, on the front porch, of our Sd-40. "Pudge" Schaller is about 6 foot tall, but he goes about 280, maybe 290 pounds. He looks like as mountain, to the driver, who falls on his ass, trying to run back, and lock himself into his car. Pudge was just going to say "to be patient, we will be moving shortly" That was the best time I ever had at a crossing, except for those "Jerry Springer" moments.................Regards :wink:
:-D I'm sure that would've been a sight to see! The guy got what was coming to him. :wink:

#158816  by shortlinerailroader

Well, I do protect as the train is approching--I count my engineer down to it. As soon as that coupler is gliding across the road, I am out of the way. If they want to drive into the side of the train, then fine..I'm just not going to be pinned between the train and the vehicle.

There are a couple of places on my RR where the road is right next to the switch. Thats where I clear up abt. every other pull (or when traffic is backed way up). 10 minutes is the most we can go per RR rules. 20 minutes is allowed by Louisiana law.

The guy who was on the ground when those peoples' windows were busted out was interviewed by the cops the next day..he gave them the info.