Railroad Forums 

• Railroader Model Craftsman is Back

• Discussion related to everything about model railroading, from layout design and planning, to reviews of related model tools and equipment. Discussion includes O, S, HO, N and Z, as well as narrow gauge topics. Also includes discussion of traditional "toy train" and "collector" topics such as Lionel, American Flyer, Marx, and others. Also includes discussion of outdoor garden railways and live steamers.
Discussion related to everything about model railroading, from layout design and planning, to reviews of related model tools and equipment. Discussion includes O, S, HO, N and Z, as well as narrow gauge topics. Also includes discussion of traditional "toy train" and "collector" topics such as Lionel, American Flyer, Marx, and others. Also includes discussion of outdoor garden railways and live steamers.

Moderators: 3rdrail, stilson4283, Otto Vondrak

#1300017  by CNJ999

Yesterday saw the arrival of my first issue of RMC under its new ownership and I must say that I was pleasantly surprised with it. With just a slight alteration in the way some of its content is presented I can report that all the old familiar columns and subject matter are still present. Of course, this issue is most likely compiled from material already at hand when Carstens closed shop, but I'd guess that the odds favor the publication's new owner carrying on in the same manner with the same sort of content its predecessor did.

A noticeable improvement is to be found in the quality of paper the magazine is now being printed on. Certainly more substantial than in the case of MR or the old RMC, the new RMC has heavy bond highly glossy pages that remind me of some of the specialized quality model railroading publications now defunct. This issue of RMC's page count, like all the recent Carstens published issues of RMC, continues to exceed that of MR and the material likewise will be found to be far more enlightening for real model railroaders than the overly simplified and truncated content of today's MR (which currently seems to be repeatedly subdividing all its formerly included worthwhile content into separate presentations and formats, all at extra cost...how sad).

CNJ999