Railroad Forums 

• Railroad Workers & Social Security

• General discussion about working in the railroad industry. Industry employers are welcome to post openings here.
General discussion about working in the railroad industry. Industry employers are welcome to post openings here.

Moderator: thebigc

#1365042  by Bigt

Excuse me if I am in the wrong place to ask this question. Both my Grandfather
and Father worked for the Railway Express Agency. At the time they began work,
they were issued new Social Security cards containing a number indicating they were
railroad workers / in the railroad retirement system. I believe it was the first three digits
of the number. My question is, do railroad workers today still get issued such a specific
social security number? Thanks in advance.
 #1365082  by Jim1348

https://www.ssa.gov/policy/docs/ssb/v45 ... n11p29.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
According to this, not any longer.

Also, related to that, Social Security numbers are now issued at birth. Needless to say, there would be no way of knowing where a person would work in the future. There is a procedure to change a Social Security number, but it does not appear that changing employers qualifies a person to do that.

https://faq.ssa.gov/link/portal/34011/3 ... ity-number" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
 #1365239  by Bigt

Jim1348,

After I sent my question, I was speaking with my brother and he recalled that after
our father passed we had traveled to the local Soc. Sec. office to take care of some matters.
The older lady who waited on us, upon seeing our father's number, remarked that she had not seen
"one of those numbers" in a long time. She knew right off that he had been a railroad employee at
one time. I had forgotten about that. Thanks again for you reply.
 #1365762  by COEN77

Social Security & Railroad Retirement are two different issues these days. Laws were changed back in the late '60s early '70s separating the two. Today any SS credits are incorporated into RRB. One can not claim both. When I hired out in 1976 I still had my original SSN and was given another number for RRB which was my railroad employee identification number.
 #1366695  by slchub

Hired in 2004 with the UP. Now with Amtrak. Both use my original SSN given to me when I was 13. No special RRB number for me.