Railroad Forums 

• Railroad-Themed development in Manchester

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.

Moderator: Otto Vondrak

#2756  by Schooltrain

The link evidently doesn't work, CPS. Any chance you can give us a hint what the deal is? :wink:

#2758  by bwparker1

Works for me, try again.

Railroad theme planned for plaza

By BRIAN P. HEFFRON
Times Staff Writer

MANCHESTER — An original LeHigh Valley Railroad caboose will be the centerpiece of a new retail shopping center being developed at Routes 21 and 96.

“It’s all original, and it’s all there, and it will be a centerpiece of the plaza,” said developer Martin McMillan, owner of McMillan Realty Inc. in Canandaigua.

McMillan bought the caboose Saturday from a private collector in Williamsport, Pa. He said it will arrive in about a month and be refinished at a warehouse until the plaza is built........... cont.
 #2987  by WNYRailfan

I think it would be better to save what is left of the LV Yard in Manchester. The roundhouse is still saveable. Vandals have not done much too it as of 2003.

Just an idea.

WNYRailfan

#3019  by BR&P

What would you do with the roundhouse? It has holes in the roof and walls, supposedly contains asbestos, and the floor has been poured with a couple feet of concrete, making replacement of track impossible in its present configuration. If you hit the powerball you could get a hoe-ram and break out the concrete but what a project! The turntable pit has been filled in, a cement block addition to the roundhouse sits over part of the pit. The adjacent glass plant may not be a rail used at present, but they ARE expanding and providing jobs. My guess is within a few years your slides of that building will suddenly be more valuable!

#3094  by scottychaos

I agree..
the Manchester roundhouse is a lost cause.
As much as I would love to see it saved, it just "aint gonna happen"..
I felt the same way about the Sayre shops coming down in 1988..great building! very historic, but what could anyone DO with it?
it was a mess...
some things are just too far gone to be saved..
the manchester roundhouse falls firmly in that catagory.
it will very likely be torn down soon.
here are some recent pics:

http://www.frontiernet.net/~scottychaos ... ester.html

Scot