Railroad Forums 

• Railfanning near Ocean City, MD

• Discussion pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in Delaware, Maryland, Virginia and Washington, D.C.
Discussion pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in Delaware, Maryland, Virginia and Washington, D.C.

Moderator: therock

#422960  by scotty269

I'll be heading down to Ocean City for a week in the end of august. Is there any active rail line within 10 miles of it?

Also a bit off topic, anybody know what kind of buses the city runs there?

Thanks in advance!
 #423067  by Sand Box John

"TheOneCalledA1"
I'll be heading down to Ocean City for a week in the end of august. Is there any active rail line within 10 miles of it?

The only active line that's close is the Maryland and Delaware branch that runs along US-113 to Snow Hill. I haven’t seen any of the grain hoppers in Snow Hill at the Tyson's Food Feed mill in weeks. When the train does run the schedule is once a week, however that day can be any day of the week.

Norfolk Southern does a daily run from Delmar to Pokomoke City. The train usually passes southbound through Salisbury around noon and passes northbound around 1600. Occasionally the train will stop short of the crossing leading in the Fruitland Wal*Mart off North Fruitland Boulevard (business US-13) on the southbound run. I think the crew is getting takeout at the Ruby Tuesday that shares a common property line with the railroad right of way.

Also a bit off topic, anybody know what kind of buses the city runs there?

They mostly run Thomas Built Saf-T-Liners along with some Startrans. During the summer the Maryland MTA sends some of the articulated busses down from Baltimore to supplement the local fleet.

#423435  by scotty269

Thanks a bunch!

I was in OC two summer ago, and I don't recall seeing any artics there. Any official dates when they'd be there?

#423454  by Spartan Phalanx

Up north a little in Delaware is the Delaware Coast Line Railway, based in Georgetown. There is a branch that runs out to Lewes. They have an interesting Alco/MLW locomotive roster.

#423898  by Sand Box John

"TheOneCalledA1"
Thanks a bunch!

Your welcome

I was in OC two summer ago, and I don't recall seeing any artics there. Any official dates when they'd be there?

I have lived over here in the sand box for 4 years now. Ever year I have seen the MTA busses deadheading down from Baltimore on US-50. I have yet to see them this year, they may have made their eastbound run at a time when I was not making my daily run west to Baltimore or they may not be supplementing Ocean City Transit fleet with MTA busses any more. About a month ago I vaguely recall seeing an artic in Ocean City Transit colors on Coastal Highway.

#425699  by Bobby S

Was there ever any passenger service to Ocean City at any time? I am going to be in MD often and I am trying to find info! Thanks

#425887  by SemperFidelis

Yes, there was. My knowledge is very limited, but as I recall steam boats used to leave Baltimore for a place called Love's Point (just north of the Bay Bridge) where passengers would transfer to waiting trains.

#425927  by Spartan Phalanx

What do you mean by railroaded Marines? Since their founding on 10 November 1775, the U.S. Marines have been a volunteer force. The Marines in Afghanistan and Iraq are volunteer professionals, just like their forbears. Support the Warriors and their Mission. They have suffered horrendous losses since their founding. They have suffered horrendous losses in Afghanistan and Iraq. Let's not stab them in the back like we did to the Army and Marine Corps who returned from Vietnam.

#425928  by scotty269

Please dont start a military debate in my topic. Its his signature.

#426025  by Sand Box John

"Bobby S"
Was there ever any passenger service to Ocean City at any time? I am going to be in MD often and I am trying to find info!

During you travels you might want to stop by the old Chesapeake and Atlantic station in Easton. It’s off Goldsborough Road between Pennsylvania Avenue and East Avenue west of US-50. There is a map of the railroad lines, a couple of pictures of the equipment run and a timetable from the 1930s in a display case on the south end of the building. Ferry service was also run between Saint Michael’s and Annapolis as well as Baltimore.

#429174  by Nabi60SFW9620

Baltimore MTA does lend 6 Articulated buses to Ocean City inbetween sometime in May until Labor Day and after Labor day they return home to Baltimore. And they are lent to Ocean City Transit. Which is seperate from Shore Transit.

#429519  by Warren Thompson

Sand Box John wrote:"Bobby S"
Was there ever any passenger service to Ocean City at any time? I am going to be in MD often and I am trying to find info!

During you travels you might want to stop by the old Chesapeake and Atlantic station in Easton. It’s off Goldsborough Road between Pennsylvania Avenue and East Avenue west of US-50. There is a map of the railroad lines, a couple of pictures of the equipment run and a timetable from the 1930s in a display case on the south end of the building. Ferry service was also run between Saint Michael’s and Annapolis as well as Baltimore.
Ocean City, Maryland, had passenger service till sometime in the 1930s, as I recall, when a hurricane wiped out much of the trackage and RoW.
Also, as I recall, a goodly bit of rolling stock and locomotives were thus stranded in and near Ocean City.