Railroad Forums 

• Railfanning in St. Louis

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in the American Midwest, including Ohio, Indiana, Illinois, Michigan, Wisconsin, Minnesota, Iowa and Kansas. For questions specific to a railroad company, please seek the appropriate forum.
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in the American Midwest, including Ohio, Indiana, Illinois, Michigan, Wisconsin, Minnesota, Iowa and Kansas. For questions specific to a railroad company, please seek the appropriate forum.

Moderator: railohio

#804238  by njtmnrrbuff

Hello All,
In August, I have a cross country train trip planned, and one of my stops will be St. Louis. I plan to do railfanning there.
1. Where in St. Louis can I get good shots of trains, especially ones with the Arch in the background?

2. WHICH neighborhoods should I stay out of. I'm aware that St. Louis has a very high crime rate in a lot of parts.

thanks.
 #813828  by NS3737

A TRRA line runs through the Jefferson National Expansion Memorial (where the Arch is located), if you have a (zoom) lens in the 28-50 mm range there are options there in the moring with the Arch as background, the area it is quite safe.

http://maps.google.nl/maps?rlz=1T4GGLR_ ... =en&tab=wl

As to railfanning: try Valley Junction across the misissippi in the East St. Louis are, is not as near as dangerous as some want others to believe (good in the erly moring and in the afternoon, but stay away when dark), also try the Broadway viaduct in Venice IL, it offers a good view at the main TRRA yard, whas there for several hours no hassle.

And yes try the Museum of transportation.

To the southwest there is a town named Pacific where the UP (busy) and BNSF (not so busy) run parallel for several miles.

And try this one

http://finance.groups.yahoo.com/group/StLouisRailfans/

A very friendly bunch which gave me ample information, so do a little searching in the messages you will find enough to stay for months. I have put up quite a lot of questions in 2007/2008 when preparing a trip to St. Louis myself. I put up a trip report.

Just my two euro cents

Gijs van Appeldoorn