• Railfanning Around Oneonta

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.

Moderator: Otto Vondrak

by Otto Vondrak

I visited Oneonta in 1990 and saw some signs of activity... a return visit in 2006 showed a mostly dormant yard and equally dormant structures. Does anything railroad related happen in Oneonta Yard anymore?

-otto-

by ANDY117

Pretty sure D22 works there when Oneonta needs cars for industries. Then goes to Afton to do its work, then comes back to Oneonta, and reassembles its train, then comes back to Bingo, and ties down on track 3 or something in East Binghamton.
  by trevor macpherson

Yeah right now oneota is just a spot for a crew change at the most and maybe some costomers there but thats about it. i was down by neawha park in oneonta and a train went by at maybe 40 and thts like two miles from the yard. And going at that speed i dont think it was gonna slow down for the yard.

Thanks for all of the replies so far (great pics) keep them comin

be safe!!!
  by trevor macpherson

Hey one of my friends dads works for cp in oneonta and binghamton and i asked him if Unalam (unadilla laminator products) in sidney if they are going to get and ship there wood that they laminate. Also that d-22 does that go to bainbridge to blue seal feeds and afton. And how many times a week or a month do they do it and what day and what time of the day. Does anybody know??? Because they stop in sidney on the siding and wait while a train goes by from oneonta.

by ANDY117

I think D22 works every other day, or as needed. Typically morning run up, work in the day, come home at night.

Bingo is short for Binghamton. Head south on I-88 for a while, and you'll get there, I promise. (Get off on the Tunnel exit to see Belden Hill tunnel, well worth the stop when a train is there)

Can someone tell me what the fight there was all about back in the 1800s that its so famous for?

I've got a CP timetable around here somewhere, but the first page tore out. Looks like I'll have to get it again. It has all the mileposts, and CPFs (Control Point Freight), Locations, etc.

by trevor macpherson

Cool that list sounds very usefull. My dad and me have been to the tunnel and its awesome. But does d-22 stop in bainbridge to drop off feed and leave? Thanks!!!

stay safe out there!!!!!

by ANDY117

Here's what I've gotten from my source:

D22 works 6 days a week. Not every other day.

What I know:

If it has a siding, and USES it, then yes it would.

by Otto Vondrak

Trevor- we already have a topic for Binghamton. If you have a specific question on Bingo, start a new thread.

-otto-

by ANDY117

I think he's more concerned about Sidney and Oneonta. But yes, put Binghamton questions in that thread. Heck, let's rename this "Railfanning around Oneonta".

Trevor-

Do you want the big lists of the CP trains, not just what runs up there, as well as NS freights? I think you may wanna come further south than Oneonta and Tunnel. You're pretty much guaranteed to see something in Binghamton. Whereas it can be hours before you see something up in D&H land.

gas

by trevor macpherson

Andy trust me if gas was cheeper i bet me and dad would be down in binghamton by the conklin yard. (how do i change the name of my thread)

by trevor macpherson

I cant remember if i pmed you or not but yeah the list for just trains that go thru here are fine but when i get time this summer i might need the other part of the list thanks. (Its gonna be the Time/schedule one right )

-Do you want the big lists of the CP trains, not just what runs up there, as well as NS freights? I think you may wanna come further south than Oneonta and Tunnel. You're pretty much guaranteed to see something in Binghamton. Whereas it can be hours before you see something up in D&H land.

Yeah i want the CP and NS Frieghts for down thru here because i dont have a ride to get to binghamton frequently.Thank You very much.

stay safe
Trevor

Ps: also is this right for train #'s

100-high priority intermodel /automotive
200-frieght witthe some intermodel and/or auto
300-unit grain
400-regional frieght train
600-unit sulfur,glycol and potash
700-extra frieght trains
900-non-revenue moves(ocs)
and this i also found out...
CWR-countinuosly welded rail

by nyandw

Oneonta Roundhouse 1972: :(Image

Just a shell of what it was. I spent 2 days in the yard. Saw one person by the loco shop during that time. Yard was full of older freight cars. About 60% of the active cars had no roofwalk as I recall. Abandoned wood cabosses, gondolas, scrap wrecks, etc. A sad mess basically.

by ANDY117

Reminds me of what we saw out at Conklin. Except more run-down, and more trees. :(

by TB Diamond

Walked through the Oneonta roundhouse in August 1969. Went into the office area where there was paper on the floors two feet deep. Pulled a couple neat items out, but it was getting dark. Spooky, deserted place.

D22

by trevor macpherson

D22 is waiting at sidney for a southbound. its 1:20 PM. its 2 gp9u