• Railfanning around Binghamton

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.

Moderator: Otto Vondrak

by BR&P

Any flooding down that general area? Monday I'm supposed to travel to northeastern PA - thru Sayre, down along the LV, and hope to check out the old right of way south of Monroeton and Dushore as I go. But it's starting to sound like I'll need an ark instead of a truck, LOL.

by ANDY117

Listening to AM 1290, no travel overnight through the Southern Tier, or N.E. PA. The Susquehanna is overflowing, and it is not pretty.

by ANDY117

NEWS FLASH! BROOME AND DELAWARE COUNTIES NOW IN STATE OF EMERGENCY.

RT.17 BETWEEN HANCOCK AND DEPOSIT IS FLOODED, AND CLOSED.

DEPOSIT AND KIRKWOOD ARE BEING EVACUATED.

3 SHELTERS NOW OPEN.

Well, it's a safe assumption that the S. Tier is underwater out near Deposit and Hancock now....

I am definately staying awake tonight now
thankfully, i'm up on a VERY high hill. More to come... Methinks Conklin is Next :(

by calorosome

Flash Flood warning in effect tonight - Broome, Delaware, Central NY counties and Bradford/Tioga Co PA. That includes Sayre.

The river is supposed to crest Monday morning. Don't count on traveling through NE PA unless you have an ark on a trailer.
  by ANDY117

UE IS NOW A FISH SCHOOL! ( corny joke, i know, please don't PM me about it) But, there were MANY plus things about 'fanning today!

THE ALCO IS GONE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! BE ON THE LOOKOUT!

I'm about to load my images and give 'em to scottychaos to host and put up here. First, i'm going to eat, i'll give the FULL report later, including a picture of me by our train layout! (if it's OK with mom, of course)!

by ANDY117

No picture, it's too messy. Anyways, here's the good stuff:

Rt. 17 is submerged, so anybody wanting to travel wants a boat!

Ah, now the typing of the results begins in 3...2...1... GO!

RT. 17 Floodedized
UEHS Aquariumized

Alco as stated before, is gone.

There wasd a train behind the NYSEG thing on Court street, by the bridge with some familiar power for those of you who follow these.

NS

D9-40CW
9371, Horsehead, P5 airhorns.

D8-40CW
8407 in CR blue
in that order
NS 8302 was STILL on that cut of cars.

There was a train putting itself together (i sent scotty the pictures, if it worked right!) it had
NYSW

SD40T-2 3012
MLW 636 78 ( Bingo just can't get rid of this thing!)
SD40T-2 3016 in that order

on the Bevier Street overpass, there were Mid train helpers, why, i have no Godly idea, anyway here they are, in order. (i think!)
CPR
SD40-2 2 flags scheme 5792
SD40-2 5919 No multimark
CSX C40-8 7519 White Cab roof
CP SD40-2 5672 2 Flags scheme

we went further down the road, to a little parking lot, where none other than CPR Heritage Locomotive D&H 7312 is at the point of that train! AWESOME! i took a lot of pictures. the infamous sticker on the air filter thing on the roof says "KEEP YOUR HEAD IN THE GAME" and a small sticker on the bottom says CPR Heritage Locomotive, with a small Beaver herald before it. It is also named B. C. O' Brien in the D&H script. on the step guard in front of the fireman's side of the cab.
IN the NYSW shop area were the usual suspects

NYSW

GP20 2064, 2062
GP18 1802 was out back, and i THINK I saw 1804. Don't hold me to that, because all i saw were the exhaust stacks between cars of that NS train.

SW9 901 was there probably, but i couldn't see it because of grain hoppers

U23B 2208 was there, as was the E-L pass. car, a SEA-LAND thing, and a old freight car, which i think is getting moved to sayre sometime.

When we went to go see if there was anything at the OTHER end of that CP train (which we found out afterwards there wasn't) Along come a pair of NS D9-40CW's! It was 167! here's the power

NS
D9-40CW 9013, then 9339.

We then went down Court Street, and NS 2501 Was at the point of a LONG cut of cars.

By the Rocket plaza, a NYSW train was waiting for a crew, with 4 locomotives.

Here they are in order from first.

NYSW

SD40T-2 3010 Which has it's UP number stencil of 8590 showing through the paintover!
SD40 Hi-Hood 3020
SD45 3634
SD45 3618, which was belching a plume of smoke.

Now let's swing over to Conklin yard!

you can't get to Conklin Ave. because it's floodedized. BOTH ENDS.
They shoot you around the neighborhoods on the hill, and out that way, but the crossibg is blocked ALSO!
but we saw 3 SD40-2's shoving a cut of cars into the yard.
here they are! In order

CP 5794
CP/SOO 702
CP 5936

2 GP9's were out front of the shops

Another 2 were closer to the entrance

CP 8230
StL&H 8244

Don't drive around here, as the Rivers in places have YET to crest, and we're getting more rain!
  by Matt Langworthy

The reports I'm getting from my family (who still live in Bath and Elmira Heights) are not pretty. :( Sounds like '72 on a smaller scale. Funny enough, The Rochester Democrat & Chronicle had a pic of a double track bridge (ex-DL&W?) over a flooded roadway in Easton, PA. The caption under the pic says this is the worst flooding in that area since 1955. The '55 flooding caused tremendous damage to both DL&W and Erie, with the financial losses pushing both lines to seek merger a few years later.

BTW, there's flooding in the Rochester area, too, so I wouldn't recommend railfanning here, either.

by scottychaos

Andy,
all I got were some metro-north photos, nothing from Binghamton..
I wont bother to post any of those since they are off topic for this thread..

but! email me your best photo of "CPR Heritage Locomotive D&H 7312"
and I will pop that one on-line!
Scot

by ANDY117

Hmm... That's strange. I'll just send em in a individual e-mail
I got quite a few good shots of 7312. A roster shot, sort of. a close up of the Sticker, and the Name and CPR Heritage Locomotive.

by scottychaos

Here is Andy's pic of 7312.. :P

by ANDY117

Anyone know who B.C O'Brien is?

by ANDY117

Oh- if anybody wants any of my other pictures from that day, e-mail me. I have a picture of the Air-Filter box sticker. I also have pictures of the old E-8 at Bevier street yard (the NJT one) a couple NYSW trains, inc. 3020, a hi-hood SD40. and my frantically scribbled notes!

by thannon

ANDY117 wrote:Anyone know who B.C O'Brien is?
He was a long time D&H employee with 50 years of service, retiring as road foreman if I recall. Not really familiar with his story, but he provoked legend status on the line. Every story I've heard spoke wonders of him. He did a lot of volunteer work at Steamtown too.

Tom H>
  by ANDY117

O, folks, the moment you've all been waiting for...

Not much on INDIVIDUAL locomotives, except 3 CN units on a e/b train, WITH A NJT PL42AC! there was a CSX unit drilling Bingo yard. 3020 was there, and so was a SD40T. a NS unit at the other end of the yard. ON the way home, No more NJT or CN units. CSX had moved on, and a new train had pulled in by the NS yard office.