• Railfanning around Binghamton

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.

Moderator: Otto Vondrak

by Otto Vondrak

Andy- you know sometimes, no news is good news. If there's nothing to report, then that's okay too. I think you'll figure out what's newsworthy and what's not. Maybe a weekly update is all that's needed. I guess you'll figure that out. Once this thread gets to be like 10 pages, I'll probably lock it and start a new one- just to keep current.

-otto-

by thannon

I don't generally bother with the daily sightings here- I do habitually flood a certain yahoogroup though when I keep track.... but since you brought this train up... Here is the 524 as it made it's way into Spencer, NY with loads on Saturday: http://home.stny.rr.com/thannon/ns524_s ... 042205.jpg
I'm guessing you caught the empties (since this train was all Somerset going North) when they were running around their train in Sayre.

Tom H>
ANDY117 wrote:We went to Sayre today, before going to see a pond place in Spencer. Anyways, We saw a long string of 100ish Somerset Railroad hoppers. Some were coalporters, the rest were just regular hoppers. We noticed head lights going along the tops of the cars, and it turned out to be 3 NS units that im guessing had just set the FRED. We pulled up to a pullover area, where a crew van was. The 3 units were as folows (in order)

NS

SD60M 6793 ex. CR
D9-40CW 9298
D9-40CW 9213

by calorosome

ANDY117 wrote:CP doesn't run west of Bingo anymore.
I work in Owego. I was downtown during lunch today (about 11:40) and I saw a westbound CP train.

I see a lot of CP out here.
  by Matt Langworthy

According to Railpace, CP doesn't operate west of Bingo now. Their power runs thru but the trains are handled by NS crews and receive NS symbols.

by ANDY117

Those particular trains are NS 38T/ 39T if they have intermodal cars in the consist, but are otherwise mixed freight. NS 10T/11T are the same, minus the Intermodal block. But these both utilize CP power. Where is Shire Oaks PA? thannon sent me a list of trains, and i have no idea where that is. Anyways, sis railfanning for about an hour today, and got a lot of action. The view from the 18th floor of the State Office Building is truly spectacular, and you can watch the tier West of bingo all the way to MP 217. You also have a birds-eye view of the NYSW yard. Anyways, the report.

This morning we left for Binghamton at 7:30. After we crossed Hayes Ave. in Endicott, i didn't check the signal again, but it probably had flicked on, as NS 38T was approaching from the west. I think it was 38T because upon arrival in Bingo, a set of about 10 intermodal cars was set out for pickup in the NYSW yard. When passing over the NYSW yard, there was a cut of cars on the Court St. Bridge, next to another cut that stretched across the river. The power was as follows, in Order.
CN
SD75I 5772
D9-44CW 2598. How many weeks have these been here?!?
Anyways, Bevier Street yard was full, and nothing was on/coming off the wye. A few hours later, on my dad's lunch hour, we went out again, and i got more detailed info. In the yard, NS D9-40C 8881 was drilling cars. NYSW
GP20 2062
U23B 2209 were coupled up to each other.
1802 was still out back
the NYO&W NW-2 was there, i believe it's number is 102. Also there was NYSW SD40T-2 3014
After stopping by burger King on Court Street. We went down the tracks, and NYSW 1800 (wasn't this one OOS for the longest time???) Anyways, it was going in the other direction with about 6 carss, tanks, covered hoppers, and a couple boxcars.
Anyways, on to Conklin!
upon nearing the yard, what should greet us but that cut of INtermodal cars! coupled up to it were (in order)
CP SD40-2 5672 in a 2 flags scheme
NS D9-40CW 9902, still in primer, but behind 9902 was a few tank cars!
5772 and 2598 were pulling up, so we kept going. In the yard, it is FULL! What a surprise! Anyways, tons o' CP power. There was a quartet of Various SD40-2's, in order
CP 5639 SD40-2
CP 5928 SD40-2
CP 5843 SD40-2
CP 9003 SD40F-2
There was a NS train pointed East, so i think this was NS 38T. The power was as follows (in order)
NS
D9-40C 8835
D9-40CW 9585
Towards the end of the yard, there was ANOTHER quartet of SD40-2s! They were too far away, but there was a pair of Yard Switchers (chop nose GP9's) by them . I think Conklin has 4-5 of these sets.
Another set was by the gas station, but some track work was being done, so they werestopped. Their numbers are as follows (in order)
CP 1564
CP 8227
We then went back over to Bevier Street, but to our wandering eyes should appear, but a CP rail caboose! Track work was being done here as well, but the number was 434660. It was yellow, with a pac-man logo.
That's all till thursday, unless something should happen.

by Otto Vondrak

...to be continued in "Railfanning Around Binghamton - 2"

-otto-