• Railfanning around Binghamton

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.

Moderator: Otto Vondrak

by Matt Langworthy

Buffalo Southern sold one of their ex-CP C-424s without repainting it, so perhaps this is the same unit?

Calorosome, I'm pretty sure the bridge was built in the early '80s. It was definitely after I moved from Elmira to Hammondsport (5/76). We started using that section of Rt. 17 alot more often after the move, especially when we went to visit my grandma in Waverly during the summertime. That's why I only saw a few PC/CR trains there. I never saw an LV train there either, although there were some LV boxcars at Holding Point.

Sadly, I saw no trains at all in the Southern Tier when I was down there for the weekend...

by ANDY117

This past weekend was active around Binghamton, There's always something going on around here.
  by scottychaos

Matt Langworthy wrote:Buffalo Southern sold one of their ex-CP C-424s without repainting it, so perhaps this is the same unit?
its not one of the Buffalo Southern units..
the one they sold was 4241

http://24.93.10.61/rochesterrailf/bsor.htm

Scot

by calorosome

I talked to my father about the PRR Horseheads bridge.

He worked at Westinghouse and at the Holding Point during the early 50s. Rt 17 was built in that stretch during that time.

He said there was always a bridge over the PRR tracks, never a grade crossing. That stretch of road west of the PRR tracks that leads to rt 14 was a contracting error.

My father authored the PRR Elmira Branch book.

by bwparker1

A great book!!!
  by Matt Langworthy

Calorosome, I don't like aruging- but are you sure? Rt. 17 was built on the ex-DL&W ROW in Horseheads in the '60s, not the early '50s. Perhaps your father was looking at the Rt. 14 bridge?

Having said that, my compliments to your father- the Elmira Branch book is phenomenal. My dad rode that line every summer, so it helped me to visualize the trip. Your father also did a great job with Trackside Around Sayre, which I got at the RIT train show a few weeks ago.

by calorosome

Matt, we'll both be at the Batavia train show this weekend. I'll be helping my father running his tables. I'm sure he'll look forward to meeting you.
  by Matt Langworthy

Calorosome, wish I could go to the 4/3 show but I gotta be at work at 11AM sharp! Let me know about future train meets, and we'll talk then. I hope you both have a good time in Batavia.

by ANDY117

For the past few days i've been in westchester, and obnserved the FL9's, and some dead ACMU's in HArmon. But now, we get to the goods.
MN
GP35R 104, 105
FL9 (m and AC) 2014, 2016, and a bunch of the retired ones in HArmon.
P32AC-DM 204, so many others
CSX on the HUdson River, and a switcher at Harmon Yard

On the way back through Binghamton, i saw a CP heading W/B through Endwell, here's the power ( in order.)

CP

SD40-2 5651
SD60M 6058
SD40-2 5669
SD40-2 6063

I MIGHT be able to convince my dad to take me to Boingo yard to get a picture of the INTERNATIONAL ALCO OF MYSTERY! as i have dubbed it.

by calorosome

Our plans for Batavia are cancelled (show is still on). We're staying home in case the river floods. The water might make it into our houses for the first time. Fingers crossed.
  by henry6

Been keeping an ear to the scanner and have heard nothing down your way, yet. So far upriver, water is way up. Probably could reach 17/86 and maybe lap at the NS ST line ties in some places. SHall keep listening and wathcing. But then again, may just go the to hockey game and the H E DOUBLE HOCKEY STICKS with rain and trains! Keep Dry!

by J.D. White

This thread has a huge response, which leads me to believe there is a lot of railroad activity in and around the city. OK boys, you convinced me to take a short summer trip down there.

by ANDY117

Indeed there is. I'm going out tomorrow for the afternoon to railfan Binghamton. We were originally going to go to Altoona, but because of the weather, decided against it. Ihope to get a photo of that Alco also. Maybe the E-8 near Bevier Street.

by scottychaos

Andy,
if you get a shot of that Alco, you can email it to me and I will post it here!
if you like..
im very curious what it is!
Scot

by ANDY117

You can count on it Scotty! I might also take some pics of the NYSW equip. while i'm at it.