Railroad Forums 

Discussion related to commuter rail and rapid transit operations in the Chicago area including the South Shore Line, Metra Rail, and Chicago Transit Authority.

Moderators: metraRI, JamesT4

#1323611  by njtmnrrbuff

Hello,
Next month, assuming that the Southwest Chief Train # 4 isn't running super late, I'm going to railfan the p.m. rush hour along the Racetrack.Where are the best spots to do that?
 #1323617  by CarterB

Hinsdale N. Oak St bridge. Downers Grove Metra Station. or Naperville Metra Station (SW Chief stops there) 2:42 EB 3:35 WB, CZ wb 2:34pm
 #1323620  by JamesT4

Any regular stop on the Metra BNSF Line is good to railfan at.

I mostily railfan the Racetrack at LaGrange Rd. Station, or Western Springs since I live within 15 mins. of both of these stations.

N. Oak St Bridge is good unless you want to walk or get a ride because the closest metra station there is Highlands, and metra only serves that station mostly during weekday rush periods only. It is about a mile plus walk to the Hinsdale Station from Oak St. Bridge.
 #1323629  by MACTRAXX

njt/mnrrbuff wrote:Hello,
Next month, assuming that the Southwest Chief Train # 4 isn't running super late, I'm going to railfan the p.m. rush hour along the Racetrack.Where are the best spots to do that?
Buff:

Want to get an idea of what you will see? Go to YouTube and type in using their search function "METRA BNSF
Commuter Trains" and you will find a large assortment of videos taken along the line...I will second the mention
that any station east of Downers Grove is good and just remember the further east you are the more trains that
you will see - from as far east as Berwyn or Cicero. I would just pick a spot and enjoy the show if you are going
to watch a Aurora Line rush hour - and I will add that the overhead bridge at Highlands is a very good spot since
I have been there myself on past visits...The "Racetrack" is one line that you can't go wrong on if you want to see
action...Make sure you get a copy of the BNSF Aurora Line schedule for your reference...MACTRAXX

See: http://www.metrarail.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; for METRA train information
 #1323781  by ExCon90

In between times it might be interesting to keep track of the maximum number of headlights visible at one time from a given location. I think I've seen four at a time headed west, the nearest one and the farthest one on the same track (you can see a long way on the racetrack).