Railroad Forums 

• Rail width question

• General discussion about locomotives, rolling stock, and equipment
General discussion about locomotives, rolling stock, and equipment

Moderator: John_Perkowski

#407703  by izzy1975

I feel stupid for asking this, but what is the width between the rails, actually center to center. Stupid question I know, but I forgot

#407714  by Peter Radanovic

Some gauges are of 1435 millimeters, and some are of 1600 millimeters. Correct me if I'm wrong.
 #407819  by izzy1975

Sounds good everyone, thanks for the info. I aam in the planning mode, of constructing a small rail speeder/scooter (whatever ya call it). I know it may sound stupid, but the idea I have is cool. I dont even know if it will work, but it worth the try! Thanks again :wink:

#407848  by CSX-COAL HAULER

Peter Radanovic wrote:Some gauges are of 1435 millimeters, and some are of 1600 millimeters. Correct me if I'm wrong.

Millimeters---????---I wish I knew the metric system-----you guys really use that stuff? :P

#408085  by Peter Radanovic

Since I'm European, I'm glad that we do!

#408291  by CSX-COAL HAULER

:P

#408302  by pennsy

Hi All,

Nice to see some of us can go from millimeters to inches without too much trouble. However, one does not go from millimeters to feet. A mm is one thousandth of a meter. Now we all know that there is such a thing as Meter Gauge trains. That is about 39.5 inches. So 1600 mm is actually 1.6 Meters. A bit over a meter and a half. For those in question: One Meter equals one hundred centimeters which equals one thousand mm. There is such a thing as a decimeter, and ten decimeters equals one meter. All are multiples of ten. End of lecture.

#409707  by scharnhorst

Russia and its former Soviet Bloc Countrys are 5 feet even. This was one of the many things that screwed up the German advance during WWII as Germany uses the same standered gage as the U.S.