Railroad Forums 

• Rail lines in Worcester/Mass Pike Area

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England

Moderators: MEC407, NHN503

#60403  by CGRLCDR

While traveling east on the Mass Pike a few times recently I have noticed what looks like a couple of new rail lines passing under the Pike in the Worcester area. One line looks like they are constructing a fairly large yard right beside it. I lived in Massahusetts until 1978 and don't remember any rail lines in this area, so I am assuming these are either new or rehabilitated lines. Does anyone know what I am referring to? What's the history on these lines?

#60521  by NellsChoo

Do you mean the area near the water treatment facility? If so, we have passed near there as well. I also noticed some rails way down on the ground, and just assumed this was part of the Worcester yard. I'm curious as well.

Jonelle

#60786  by CSX Conductor

Neither yard is visible from the Mass Pike (P&W and CSXT...They are visible from I-290)

Are you referring to the exit for Rte.20 and Rte146 off at Mass Pike>?

If so, I am not sure what the new tracks are for, but that is the P&W's main-line that runs between Worcester & Providence.

#60841  by ewh

What you are seeing is not a new line, but a rebuilding of the Providence and Worcester's main line to Providence. Route 146 is getting a rebuild into downtown Worcester and so is the P&W's yard along this line. The new track ends about 1/4 mile south of the Mass Pike. The former single track was hidden in trees and most people on the Pike never knew they were crossing a railroad because the same bridge also crosses Rte 146 and a river. Most of the business in this new yard is covered hoppers.

#60953  by NellsChoo

290 is where we see the tracks from. I forgot the route name... so this isn't the main yard, but a secondary one?

#61076  by FatNoah

The only reason I knew this track was there was that I commuted from Worcestor to Woburn (ugh!) for a while just after the new exit on the pike opened.

When the tree clearing was done for the 146 expansion, new Rt. 20 overpass, and new pike exit it was possible to see the tracks.

At the time, the track continued north to the yard in Worcester, but there was a siding under the Pike bridge over 146, etc. There were usually some cars loaded with gravel there.

#61332  by CSX Conductor

Nells, I-290 goes over CSXT at Worcester station. It also goes over the sound end of the P&W's main yard a bit further south of Kelley Square.

#61364  by ewh

The line north into Worcester also used to go through a steel factory alongside Route 146. The new Route 146 is built on this property. The P&W line north from the MassPike yard narrows to a single (maybe double; hard to tell) line through southeastern Worcester where there is a lot of defunct railroad businesses and scrap yards until is passes beneath I290 and enters the main yard west of I290. A switch engine connects the two yards.

#61468  by johnpbarlow

Between the Masspike yard trackage and the main yard / shops in downtown Worcester lies a container/bulk transfer yard facility that can be sort accessed from rte 146 I don't recall the street name...

#61500  by CSX Conductor

John I believe that street is right near a storage place (Extra Space or something like that). Can't recall the name of the street or the little industrial park there. :(