Railroad Forums 

• R3 to West Chester?

• Discussion relating to Southeastern Pennsylvania Transportation Authority (Philadelphia Metro Area). Official web site can be found here: www.septa.com. Also including discussion related to the PATCO Speedline rapid transit operated by Delaware River Port Authority. Official web site can be found here: http://www.ridepatco.org/.
Discussion relating to Southeastern Pennsylvania Transportation Authority (Philadelphia Metro Area). Official web site can be found here: www.septa.com. Also including discussion related to the PATCO Speedline rapid transit operated by Delaware River Port Authority. Official web site can be found here: http://www.ridepatco.org/.

Moderator: AlexC

#82646  by AlexC

You're willing to pay another 1/2% for more of the same?
Pffeh!
She told me that the vibes she has gotten are that the $13M bailout from Eddie will just give everyone another month to put off making a decision.
You don't need to be in politics to know that. ;) All you need to know is that they're looking for the money, not looking for a change!

#82657  by jfrey40535

That's exactly why I was against giving SEPTA any money! I completely appreciate the need for funding transit properly, but if SEPTA gets their annual blank check automatically, it will be like the cable company doing an auto-withdrawl from your checking account each month. They will continue as business as usual, with no marked improvements or changes.

Unforunately Rendell is making a huge mistake sticking his neck out for SEPTA by stealing highway money for them.

#82665  by JeffK

AlexC wrote:You're willing to pay another 1/2% for more of the same?
Pffeh!
Remember, I said "... if I felt the money would do some good, but it doesn't work that way ... they have to be accountable to someone", which they ain't. Man, I'd love it if the company I work for could set its own standards like SEPTA, instead of having to answer to our customers - we'd be doing just GREAT all the time (yeah, right).

At this point the only way I'd give them an extra nickel is if they first put Donald Trump at the front door of 1234 with a bullhorn so he can shout "you're fired" at the whole (mis)management team.

#82680  by AlexC

JeffK wrote:
AlexC wrote:You're willing to pay another 1/2% for more of the same?
Pffeh!
Remember, I said "... if I felt the money would do some good, but it doesn't work that way ... they have to be accountable to someone", which they ain't.
Well, I thought "but it doesn't work that way in this state," changed the meaning.
Man, I'd love it if the company I work for could set its own standards like SEPTA, instead of having to answer to our customers - we'd be doing just GREAT all the time (yeah, right).
And you'd be getting a raise too!
At this point the only way I'd give them an extra nickel is if they first put Donald Trump at the front door of 1234 with a bullhorn so he can shout "you're fired" at the whole (mis)management team.
Nah. Donald doesn't come free. I'll do it for nothing. :) Actually, I'd make money doing it.

I hate going off topic.... anybody want to talk about West Chester?

#82873  by Pacobell73

Yes, I would love to talk about West Chester. If I recall correctly, service to West Chester was cut back to Elwyn in 1986 when SEPTA had one of these budget shortfalls. What happened to West Chester was no different than what is happening now. SEPTA is the worst transit agency in North America, without a doubt. They have eclipsed San Fran's MUNI.

#82884  by Matthew Mitchell

Pacobell73 wrote:Yes, I would love to talk about West Chester. If I recall correctly, service to West Chester was cut back to Elwyn in 1986 when SEPTA had one of these budget shortfalls. What happened to West Chester was no different than what is happening now.
Not quite. Elwyn-West Chester was suspended (and replaced with a shuttle bus) because of deteriorated track conditions, and not because of a financial crisis (though SEPTA did have a bunch of problems in that era). The track deterioriated because SEPTA failed to maintain it, and in some instances cannibalized materials for use elsewhere on the system.

Elwyn-West Chester also became a convenient place to train new crew members as SEPTA had huge railroad employee turnover following their takeover in 1983--many employees "flowed back" to Conrail and Amtrak during that period because the other railroads paid more than SEPTA did.

#92528  by Pacobell73

Matthew Mitchell wrote:in some instances cannibalized materials for use elsewhere on the system.
Like what? What materials are available on this quaint, single-track, bucolic line?

#92711  by Matthew Mitchell

Pacobell73 wrote:
Matthew Mitchell wrote:in some instances cannibalized materials for use elsewhere on the system.
Like what? What materials are available on this quaint, single-track, bucolic line?
Signal and grade crossing protection equipment, for example.

#92894  by Bill R.

JeffK wrote:
Perhaps this the makings of the next reality TV show: Donald cleans the SEPTA (actually more like SEPTIC) System.

#92977  by R3 Rider

^I can just see it now -- the opening scene of Season 4 of The Apprentice would be Trump in that board room with Faye Moore and Pat Deon, and he does that little thing with his hand and says, "You're fired."

Hey, a man's allowed to dream, isn't he? :-D

#92978  by R3 Rider

(sorry, triple post -- the board was giving me an error message when I tried to post this)
Last edited by R3 Rider on Mon Jan 31, 2005 9:07 am, edited 1 time in total.

#92981  by R3 Rider

(sorry about the triple post)
Last edited by R3 Rider on Mon Jan 31, 2005 9:08 am, edited 1 time in total.

#93223  by Bensalem SEPTA rider

R3 Rider wrote:^I can just see it now -- the opening scene of Season 4 of The Apprentice would be Trump in that board room with Faye Moore and Pat Deon, and he does that little thing with his hand and says, "You're fired."

Hey, a man's allowed to dream, isn't he?
Apparently you feel strongly about this because you posted it three times. Anyway, Why can't they have some sort of diesel RiverLine type system where the trains come from West Chester on existing trackage and connect with trains at Media. It worked with RDC, it could work with light rail too!

#93288  by PARailWiz

Apparently you feel strongly about this because you posted it three times. Anyway, Why can't they have some sort of diesel RiverLine type system where the trains come from West Chester on existing trackage and connect with trains at Media. It worked with RDC, it could work with light rail too!
Well, except there's already catenary all the way to West Chester, so I figure you might as well use it. Unless it needs so much work as to make using it impractical. It looked at least usable the one time I saw it, if not perfect, but maybe someone else could shed more light on the subject.

#93500  by R3 Rider

Bensalem SEPTA rider wrote:Apparently you feel strongly about this because you posted it three times.
The board was giving me some sort of error message, so I didn't realize I had triple-posted. Image

Although I do feel strongly about it. ;)