Railroad Forums 

Discussion relating to the past and present operations of the NYC Subway, PATH, and Staten Island Railway (SIRT).

Moderator: GirlOnTheTrain

#166238  by Majinvegeta

On my way to school i saw the R160 cars on the A Line To Far Rockaway! I couldnt resist so i took the Far Rockaway A to find them and they stopped at the Shuttle Train layup.
Car Sets were
8713-8714-8715-8716-8717-8718-8719-8720-8721-8722

Really incredible sight today! :-)

#166247  by Phil Hom

You never said if they were in pasenger service, or running light.

#166264  by Majinvegeta

they were on a test i believe. None of the lights were on

#166360  by Robert Paniagua

That's a good sign that things are starting to roll forward. Hopefully they'll publish some photos of those cars while in test trips.

#166601  by Majinvegeta

what i like about it is that the acceleration sound is like the R142s that run on the 2 line. I love that sound!

#166932  by Phil Hom

Running light is a RR term for running with no cars. In this case in the subway running light mean no passengers in the cars. It does not mean if the lights were on.

#166974  by 4 Express

Robert Paniagua wrote:That's a good sign that things are starting to roll forward. Hopefully they'll publish some photos of those cars while in test trips.
Although that would be great, it also wouldn't make sense, what if all of the sudden the R-160's go bad? They wouldn't be worth bragging about then.

#167055  by Robert Paniagua

Although that would be great, it also wouldn't make sense, what if all of the sudden the R-160's go bad? They wouldn't be worth bragging about then.

Well, that's why they are testing them to prevent them (or minimize them) from going sour. But it will take it's time to get the R160 in revenue action, maybe in ayear or less to prvent an R44/R46 combo fiasco of the early 80s.

#167065  by 4 Express

Robert Paniagua wrote:Although that would be great, it also wouldn't make sense, what if all of the sudden the R-160's go bad? They wouldn't be worth bragging about then.

Well, that's why they are testing them to prevent them (or minimize them) from going sour. But it will take it's time to get the R160 in revenue action, maybe in ayear or less to prvent an R44/R46 combo fiasco of the early 80s.
No, you said that you wanted them to take photos of them while they are testing & like I said earlier if the MTA puts the photos on their website bragging about the car & then all of the sudden bad things happen, people are not going to be happy.

#167218  by 4 Express

Robert Paniagua wrote:Sorry, I actually didn't mean that. I wasnt gonna photoshoot while testing.
Oh, that's ok :-D

#167569  by JOHN TRICARCIO

this is for phil

how r u

last weekend the R160s were here in brooklyn on the f line
and i even saw them last friday night on a run by

take care joh t brooklyn ny

#167942  by Robert Paniagua

last weekend the R160s were here in brooklyn on the f line
and i even saw them last friday night on a run by

Oh wow, were they testing them, or taking passengers for real?

#167971  by arrow

4 Express wrote:No, you said that you wanted them to take photos of them while they are testing & like I said earlier if the MTA puts the photos on their website bragging about the car & then all of the sudden bad things happen, people are not going to be happy.
I doubt the R160s will "go bad". Whatever happens, they will use them eventually since they bought them obviously. I don't follow your logic about not putting pictures of the cars on their website, I don't see what the harm would be in that.

#167975  by 4 Express

arrow wrote:
4 Express wrote:No, you said that you wanted them to take photos of them while they are testing & like I said earlier if the MTA puts the photos on their website bragging about the car & then all of the sudden bad things happen, people are not going to be happy.
I doubt the R160s will "go bad". Whatever happens, they will use them eventually since they bought them obviously. I don't follow your logic about not putting pictures of the cars on their website, I don't see what the harm would be in that.
Yes, never mind I guess I take that back, although I'm a little eeire about those Alstom R160A's.