Railroad Forums 

• R1 Airport Line Revenue

• Discussion relating to Southeastern Pennsylvania Transportation Authority (Philadelphia Metro Area). Official web site can be found here: www.septa.com. Also including discussion related to the PATCO Speedline rapid transit operated by Delaware River Port Authority. Official web site can be found here: http://www.ridepatco.org/.
Discussion relating to Southeastern Pennsylvania Transportation Authority (Philadelphia Metro Area). Official web site can be found here: www.septa.com. Also including discussion related to the PATCO Speedline rapid transit operated by Delaware River Port Authority. Official web site can be found here: http://www.ridepatco.org/.

Moderator: AlexC

#43943  by Lucius Kwok

According to SEPTA's Annual Service Plan for FY 2005, the average fare for the airport line is 1.55. This is closer to transit fares (1.04-1.29) than railroad fares (3.12 average). The operating ratio for the line (revenue/costs) is 27%, the lowest of all the lines (even lower than the Cynwyd branch).

The peculiar thing about the line is that transpasses are accepted for the entire line. That means that daily commuters can pay $1.59 per trip using a monthly pass ($70 a month / 44 trips per month). From what I have read, this is some kind of City of Philadelphia agreement (they own the airport). Is SEPTA considering cutting this line because of its low operating ratio? But if they were to stop honoring transpasses on that line, its ratio would be 54%, which is close to the ratio for the R5 Paoli line. (Assuming an average fare of 3.12.) There's already the Route 108 bus that goes to the airport, so transpass holders can still get to the airport.

Is there some kind of passenger subsidy that the City provides on this line? It would make the accounting more clear if subsidies were tied to a specific line instead of all being funnelled into a huge bureaucracy. If SEPTA were to provide several alternatives to fixing the budget shortfalls rather than a blanket service cut, legislators might be more willing to work with SEPTA.

The Airport line is the worse performing line in terms of revenue, but it is probably the most important line for travellers forming their first impression about the city. What should be done about it?

#43964  by SCB2525

More non-airport stops, perhaps an extention, although I know not of the feasibility of this.
 #43993  by Matthew Mitchell

Lucius Kwok wrote:According to SEPTA's Annual Service Plan for FY 2005, the average fare for the airport line is 1.55.
Interesting that they break that out separately. Usually SEPTA accounts the same amount of revenue to each line, which is why some of those cost-recovery figures can be misleadng.
The peculiar thing about the line is that transpasses are accepted for the entire line. That means that daily commuters can pay $1.59 per trip using a monthly pass ($70 a month / 44 trips per month). From what I have read, this is some kind of City of Philadelphia agreement (they own the airport).
I'm not aware of any deal with the city. From the time the line opened, SEPTA charged zone 5 peak fares for single trips at all hours (makes good economic sense, because that's what the market could bear when you're competing with taxis), but placed the Airport in zone 2 for pass rate purposes, since that's where it belongs geographically (fare zones are based on five mile concentric circles centered on City Hall).

That led to an anomaly in the fare structure, because at that time, City TransPass holders could ride off-peak commuter trains within the city using a "TransPass Exchange Coupon." So it gave us the situation of a city pass being good for most Airport travel while zone 1 passholders had to pay (though I think they may have only had to pay the difference between zones 1 and 5--I was in this situation myself, but I don't recall now).
Is SEPTA considering cutting this line because of its low operating ratio?
<cynicism>That assumes SEPTA's threats to shut down parts of the system are based on economic considerations rather than political considerations (how they can exert the most pressure on Harrisburg)</cynicism>
Is there some kind of passenger subsidy that the City provides on this line? It would make the accounting more clear if subsidies were tied to a specific line instead of all being funnelled into a huge bureaucracy.
I'm not aware of any such payments: if there were any, they would be accounted for in the budget under Route Guarantee funding, as is the case for payments from some of the suburban counties and from the University City District for LUCY for example.

#44850  by The Caternary Type

R1's pretty good, but if they could have some sort of a shuttle train to replace all those busses (Airtrain PHI)

If you don't want to hear a pipe dream, stop reading here.

Make it like JFK, Modified to FRA regs so that they'd be automated on the trips to/from roberts, or better yet, the whole dang system. Ahhhhhh.