Railroad Forums 

• "Up North" Gawking (District 1 sightings)

• Guilford Rail System changed its name to Pan Am Railways in 2006. Discussion relating to the current operations of the Boston & Maine, the Maine Central, and the Springfield Terminal railroads (as well as the Delaware & Hudson while it was under Guilford control until 1988). Official site can be found here: PANAMRAILWAYS.COM.
Guilford Rail System changed its name to Pan Am Railways in 2006. Discussion relating to the current operations of the Boston & Maine, the Maine Central, and the Springfield Terminal railroads (as well as the Delaware & Hudson while it was under Guilford control until 1988). Official site can be found here: PANAMRAILWAYS.COM.

Moderator: MEC407

#1161721  by markhb

One quick question in relation to my earlier post: is Rigby officially considered to be part of either D1 or D2, or is it its own distinct beast? Put another way, does D1 end (since it presumably starts at MP 0 in Keag) at the easterly yard limit, or the westerly yard limit, or elsewhere?
 #1161729  by MEC407

Rigby is part of District 2. I believe it used to be part of District 1 but at some point in recent history they must've changed it. I recall (probably 10+ years ago) the District 1 / District 2 dividing line being somewhere in the immediate vicinity of Cook's Crossing in Scarborough (roughly near CPF 201, about a mile west of the west end of the yard), but according to the PDF version of the ST ETT I'm looking at (dated April 6, 2008), the dividing line is now at CPF 199 (east end of the yard).
 #1161832  by S1f3432

Back in MEC days 30 years ago PT Tower controlled the yard leads and mainline crossovers at the west end
of the yard with the B&M taking control of movements at a controlled signal off away to the west. I remember
once we had some circuit changes to make down there that required some help by a maintainer from the
B&M because the equipment wasn't ours even though our circuits tied into it. Of course now with all control
at Billerica the territory can be assigned however they choose.
 #1166421  by mec 381

I was able to see a couple of trains in Waterville, ME. today (3/28/13). First MEC's 310, 377, and B&M 327 were switching the yard and using the lower road as the yard lead. Then driving along County Road an eastbound was parked under the I95 overpass with MEC 608, HLCX 7014, GMTX 3109, and MEC 307. Might have been POSJ with all the empty center beam flatcars on it. Didn't have time to watch or take pictures as I was working.
 #1166456  by 690

I didn't really have much going on today, so I spent a good chunk of the day in Oakland taking pictures of the track condition, and various other related stuff (plus the Madison Job and an eastbound). The fact that there aren't more derailments on the Madison Branch never fails to amaze me, considering the downright deplorable condition of the track and right of way (seriously, there are sections where the rails aren't even spiked to the ties at all).

Track between the Oak Street and Pleasant Street crossings, looking east. That's the mainline in the foreground, and the Madison Branch in the back. The Madison Branch at this point is literally embedded in a mud and gravel mixture, and when a train goes over it, the weight of the train forces the muck out from between the ties like play-doh.

The old turntable pit east of Pleasant Street, across from One Steel. There used to be a bunch of old bumping posts in the middle of it, but those disappeared about a year or so ago.

85 LB rail from 1906 on the Madison Branch. All of the rail appears to be 85 LBs, and from the early 20th century (1906-1918 were the dates I saw).

MEC #1163 behind the RSU 18 bus garage. It has been sitting there since at least 2005-2006, and from the looks of it, it probably won't be moved any time soon (there's also a large pile of dirt just out of sight sitting on the tracks). Barely legible reporting marks, MEC Pine Tree logo, and owner information.

Moving on, here's another view of the Madison Branch, behind One Steel's junkyard. Note the arrow straight track, and stunning tie quality. Also, note the switch a little ways up the track. Here are the tracks leading from that switch. Ironically, the rail on these stub tracks is 100 LB rail from 1923. On one of the stubs tracks is a derail, with patent information, and model number on it.

Heading west now, I took a picture of the date on the CWR of the mainline (112 LB, 1941). Note that this is only for the CWR east of Pleasant Street. A bit west is the spur for One Steel, which doesn't appear to be served by Pan Am anymore.

Here's another view of the track between Oak Street and Pleasant Street, this time with Madison Branch in the foreground, looking west.

I don't believe anyone has posted any pictures of the rebuilt crossing on Oak Street, so this should give everyone an idea of how it looks. During the rebuild, they removed the east switch at MP 119, as seen here. This switch was notorious for being unreliable, and I had seen more than one occasion where a car picked the switch, and derailed.

Continuing west, the run-around for the Madison Branch at Oakland. Again, I'm astounded there aren't more derailments here. While I'm on the topic of derailments at this switch, you can tell where cars have been dragged over the ties here (apparently this switch isn't all that reliable either). The fact that the switchstand, and the points for the switch are sitting in a good three or four inches of water probably doesn't help.

This run-around also happens to be composed of 85 LB rail from 1905. Note that the ties are in relatively decent condition, probably a testament to the number of cars that have destroyed the previous ties. The ties in the background appear to be a mix of replaced ties, and the old ties from the fourth track that used to be here.

In comparison, the mainline is in relatively decent condition, with a decent bed of ballast, and more 112 LB CWR, albeit a bit older than other CWR (circa 1934).

Now for some of "artifacts" around the area, what appears to be a base for a signal (there's another one like it about a mile east at MP 118). Here's one of many discarded brakeshoes in the area, old tell-tales (and bridge abutments from the old bridge, with cut stone on one side, and concrete on the other), with a date of 1918 on the concrete one). Astonishingly, they are completely graffiti-free, which is amazing, since they are both visible, and easily accessible. And finally, one of the more unusual artifacts I stumbled upon (and completely by accident, too). I had to relieve myself, and after doing so, happened to look over, and saw it lying on the ground, and the base covered in leaves. So I cleared the base off, and set the pole back into the base to get a picture of it (I then removed it again, and set it back the way it was). Behind it you can see one of the few remaining telegraph poles in the area.

Finally, the trains themselves. At 11:00 sharp, the Madison Job came through, with one of the few Phase 1 Guilford painted GP40s. Here it is again, running around the train to lead it up to Madison (the boxcars are on the Madison Branch, and it's running around on the third track). I was half expecting it to derail as it went over spots in the track like this, and amusing enough, the conducter was also keeping his distance, standing as far away from it as he could when it went by.

Anyway, they were just getting ready to leave Oakland about forty minutes later when I heard an eastbound blowing its horn for one of the camp roads to the west. I was pleasantly surprised to see one of the BN green leasers in the lashup (608/7014/3109/307), and with that, I called it a day.
 #1166721  by MEC407

Wow. That might be the coolest thing I've seen on YouTube in months. Thanks for posting it! :-D
 #1178149  by 690

It was pretty slow in Oakland today, with just one train going through.

To start off, the previous days Madison Job didn't even make it out of Oakland. It was still sitting there at about 17:30 (picture was taken at about 8:30).

At around 10:30, an eastbound came through. You can see it going through the sag by the Willey Point Road. The lack of wind, and generally quiet time of day allowed me to hear it from about ten miles away, which was pretty cool. Power was GP40-2W 506, 509, 505, and SD40-2 605. Not sure what job it was, but they had a bunch of empty gondolas at the rear, and four hoppers filled with used ties, as seen here, and here (if you look closely you can just see Delaware & Hudson markings under all the grime).

After a couple hours, I hiked west for a little bit. MP 120, looking west, and another view, looking east. The metal T contraption in both pictures was used to hold 39' lengths of rail off the ground. That whole straightaway is about a mile long, then it curves just slightly right after the B2 crossing (at the end of Mallard Lane, off the Belgrade Road) and goes into another straightaway, with more sags. The signal at the B2 crossing (you can't read the sign, but it says start of signal territory). It's actually a fairly decent location to get a westbound coming out of the sag from the above pictures between 10:00 - 14:00, and since it's about a mile long, you can get the entire train, or at least most of it, in the picture.
 #1178247  by gokeefe

Those are some really great shots. Classic Central Maine railroading with granite mile markers, searchlight signals (maintained and in working condition) and freight trains of boxcars running through the trees pulled by second or third generation diesel power. This sight, which is becoming rarer by the day elsewhere, has largely been the landscape of railroading in Maine for about half a century now (1960-2010+). No passenger trains, "just business".
 #1179812  by BM6569

Here are some pics in Portland near Bishop Street.

The 337 was the local switcher, which I had seen at Rigby two hours earlier.

A good size staging area can be found at the junction here where the spur to the Bishop St businesses branches off. Pile of ballast and many ties (some old, some new).

This ancient BM hopper is sitting on the siding here. Used for either ballast or old ties.

#1183692  by MEC407

District 1 folks, especially in the area of Burnham Junction, be on the lookout for ex-B&ML rolling stock on flat cars. I have no idea when this stuff will be interchanged with PAR but I assume it'll be sometime soon. More info here: Belfast & Moosehead Lake Railroad (BML) Discussion

Sightings of this equipment would be VERY much appreciated by those of us further south/west in PAR land!
 #1190658  by 690

Thursday was rather uneventful around Oakland, so I just snapped a couple pictures of the ROW.

Old milepost by the bridge above the Broom Handle Rd. I'm guessing that the 79/88 is the distance from Portland (if anyone could clarify, that would be great).

Several pictures of the bridge itself:
- Looking east.
- Another view.
- One of the tags that was on the bridge; for those that can't read it, it reads 136.83-112.
- Looking east still. Notice that on the left the abutments are wide enough for another track.
- Looking west this time, another view of the wide abutments.
- Another view of the bridge, from the other side.
- One last view, looking east (the sun decided to stop hiding behind clouds).

Continuing east for several hundred more yards, there's an "official milepost", MP 118. And then a look west down the ROW. And then, east, from the same spot. It was only until after I took that pictures that it struck me that the ROW is wide enough for another track at least until this point. With a bit of work, they could theoretically extend the Madison branch up to at least this point, with the actual branch diverging from this extended siding the same location it curves away from the mainline now, and have a mile and half long passing side to at least this point, if not all the way to Fairfield St. crossing.