Railroad Forums 

Discussion related to commuter rail and rapid transit operations in the Chicago area including the South Shore Line, Metra Rail, and Chicago Transit Authority.

Moderators: metraRI, JamesT4

#1154373  by Pacific 2-3-1

The two-level Wells Street Bridge over the Chicago River (which used to be the Fifth Avenue Bridge) went out of service yesterday at 10 PM for rebuilding.

In the interim, Brown Line ("Ravenswood") trains originating at Kimball will terminate either at Merchandise Mart, Chicago Ave./Franklin, OR run through the State Street Subway to ROOSEVELT/STATE downtown.

In the rush hour, two out of three trains will use the subway routing; otherwise all trains will go to Chicago Ave./Franklin or Merchandise Mart on the "L".

The southbound Brown Line trains headed for the subway will display the Red Line "ROOSEVELT" mylar sign (which is red in color) and switch from the outer track after stopping at Fullerton station (skipping Armitage).

The "Ravenswood" trains haven't used the State Street Subway since the early 1940's when it was brand new! I think back then they went through to Englewood (Loomis/63rd).

The Purple Line Express will not run at all; just the local between Linden and Howard.
 #1154795  by doepack

Pacific 2-3-1 wrote:The southbound Brown Line trains headed for the subway will display the Red Line "ROOSEVELT" mylar sign (which is red in color) and switch from the outer track after stopping at Fullerton station (skipping Armitage).
During the closure, Brown line trains terminating at Roosevelt/State on the Red line will continue out of service through the 14th St. portal out of the subway to connect with the Green line, eventually turning back north at "37th middle"; i.e., the middle track just south of the 35th St. station. Should be a fun week...
 #1157887  by Chicagopcclcars

By Tuesday, the CTA was getting a handle on the roll sign problem. There was enough cars with "Roosevelt" signs, the problem was locating them and keeping track of them. A number of 2600s were transferred from the Red line. Someone came up with an idea to place red stickers on cars with "Roosevelt" signs and that aided yard crews in keeping the cars grouped together so that eight car trainsets could be made up and assigned to that service. On Friday, I ended my personal observations at Roosevelt in the subway and witnessed a smooth operation. Southbound stickered reroutes were halted for a quick inspection. Operators and platform personnel informed riders they could ride to one more stop, a Green line stop, 35th Bronzeville which was even displayed on Train Tracker. The northbound Browns were lined up on the approach from the incline while the headlights of waiting Red line trains reflected off walls. I could tell which would be next by seeing the position of the switch points. Later, I heard over the scanner Kimball announce the very last reroute departure....."Roosevelt Designation."

CTA managers in preparing for the next bridge work in late April should study their findings and come up with a better ratio of trains to people to headways with a goal of improving travelling times and that would mean a little fewer trains. I don't think severe overcrowding was a problem, but CTA managers should have more data to make a good call on this.

DH
 #1176549  by Pacific 2-3-1

If you missed the earlier opportunity to ride a Monday-Friday rush-hour "Roosevelt"-bound "Ravenswood" train through the State Street Subway, next week is your chance.

The subway-bound trains will reportedly use the INNER (Red Line) track when stopping at "Fullerton" this time around.
Last edited by Pacific 2-3-1 on Tue Apr 23, 2013 12:01 pm, edited 2 times in total.
 #1176756  by MACTRAXX

Everyone: Another thought would be to route those Ravenswood trains all the way thru to either Englewood
or Jackson Park adding more service to those routes-but with the added trains serving the South Side L during
the Dan Ryan Re-Construction Project this would not be practical during that time period...

I recall that back during the 90s that there was a thought to abandon all or part of the South Side L route and
thankfully those that wanted to preserve these two routes prevailed...just think of how the South Side's CTA
(or any) transit would be without this alternate route option...

MACTRAXX
 #1176919  by Chicagopcclcars

I see that you've edited your previous posts, correcting your previous incorrect information. You could have acknowledged my question, but that's your personal choice.

Like Wells Street Project I the Brown line trains rerouted to the Red line will make all Brown line stops from Kimball through Fullerton and then will make Red line stops from North /Clybourn through Roosevelt. Rerouted trains and Brown line trains going to Merchandise Mart WILL both serve Wellington and Diversey Brown line stops. The only chang will be for the reroute Brown line trains to cross over to the Red line tracks before Fullerton and serve Fullerton from the inner tracks, the normal Red line loading berth at Fullerton.

Here is the CTA press release: " During the AM rush period only – all southbound Red Line and Brown Line trains operating to Roosevelt via the subway will serve the Red Line (inner) side of the platform at Fullerton. Brown Line trains (to Merchandise Mart) will serve the outer side of the platform at Fullerton. Having subway-bound trains serve one side of the platform and elevated trains serve the other side will help eliminate confusion and speed transfers."
 #1176926  by Chicagopcclcars

MACTRAXX wrote:Everyone: Another thought would be to route those Ravenswood trains all the way thru to either Englewood
or Jackson Park adding more service to those routes-but with the added trains serving the South Side L during
the Dan Ryan Re-Construction Project this would not be practical during that time period...

MACTRAXX
What makes you think additional service is needed on the Cottage Grove branch or the Ashland branch of the Green line?
 #1177068  by MACTRAXX

Chicagopcclcars wrote:
MACTRAXX wrote:Everyone: Another thought would be to route those Ravenswood trains all the way thru to either Englewood

MACTRAXX
What makes you think additional service is needed on the Cottage Grove branch or the Ashland branch of the Green line?
DH: I was thinking about just running those trains down to 63/Cottage Grove or 63/Ashland instead of turning them at Roosevelt
Road - but I now realize that the South Side L probably is being served enough by its existing service level...the added trains during
the Dan Ryan Re-Construction Project would probably be enough for the ridership increase anticipated this year...

This topic got me to study some CTA track maps and it got me thinking: Why not run those detoured Ravenswood trains using the
State Street Subway thru to Midway using the restored 17th Street Junction connection?

This would provide a new "connection" route between two lines that regularly go their separate ways via the Loop L and it could
possibly become a new regular routing if it is practical...even if as an example it is only operated on a limited basis like at peak
travel times...Has there ever been thought of linking the Ravenswood and Midway lines at any point?

See: www.chicago-l.org/maps/track/Green-SouthSide.jpg

MACTRAXX
 #1177140  by Chicagopcclcars

MACTRAXX wrote:
Chicagopcclcars wrote:

MACTRAXX
DH: I was thinking about just running those trains down to 63/Cottage Grove or 63/Ashland instead of turning them at Roosevelt
Road - but I now realize that the South Side L probably is being served enough by its existing service level...the added trains during
the Dan Ryan Re-Construction Project would probably be enough for the ridership increase anticipated this year...

This topic got me to study some CTA track maps and it got me thinking: Why not run those detoured Ravenswood trains using the
State Street Subway thru to Midway using the restored 17th Street Junction connection?

This would provide a new "connection" route between two lines that regularly go their separate ways via the Loop L and it could
possibly become a new regular routing if it is practical...even if as an example it is only operated on a limited basis like at peak
travel times...Has there ever been thought of linking the Ravenswood and Midway lines at any point?

See: http://www.chicago-l.org/maps/track/Green-SouthSide.jpg

MACTRAXX
Your profile says you are located in the East, roughly 1000 miles away. That's one problem....we often get fans who live far removed and who look at track maps or read on Chicago "L". org and think they've solved something. First the Brown line reroute is only for five weekdays. Green line doesn't need additional service for those five days, it's doing just fine as it is. Second, the detoured Brown line trains are being turned at 37th St. Middle track, not at Roosevelt. They just go out of service t Roosevelt, officially. There is no turnback tracks available at Roosevelt or at 17th St. Junction. Passengers are permitted to ride and disembark at 35th/Bronzeville on the Green line before the detoured Browns turnback. This is not advertised. Three, about three or four trains already operate out of Midway on the Orange line and run as Brown line trains between the Loop and Kimball terminal. These trains are all rerouted to the Red line subway already during the five days. These trains are not advertised either, but they've run each detour day. They come south from Kimball, they carry red "Roosevelt" signs, but when they leave Roosevelt, they go through 17th St. junction and go on to Midway as an Orange line train.

Now the five month Red line Ryan closure will be a different operation altogether. That begins in mid May.

DH
Last edited by Chicagopcclcars on Wed Apr 24, 2013 8:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
 #1177143  by Chicagopcclcars

The five month Dan Ryan Closure....I put it in a separate post. The Ryan closure has nothing to do with the Brown, Orange, Purple, Pink line service to the Loop. Those four line will operate normally.

All Red line service will reroute over the Green line, through 17th St. Junction and run to Ashland/63. This will be a 24/7 operation. Red line trains will run normally Howard to Roosevelt. Southbound Red line trains will carry a rollsign reading "Ashland/63" in red or green. So train service on the Green line to Ashland/63 will be increased dramatically as there are more Red line schedule than Green line schedule. South of the Loop, there will be no Green line service to Ashland/63, all Green line service will go to Cottage Grove/63 and will use the old 61st St. yard. The Red line will use Ashland yard. The trains that normally went from Harlem to Ashland/63 as Green line trains will be turned....turned at Roosevelt using 14th St. Middle track in the am rush and turned on the Loop, using the outer Loop tracks at other hours.
 #1177605  by Pacific 2-3-1

I wasn't inclined to believe it at first, but Mr. Harrison's information about next week's SB Brown Line State Street Subway trains using the inner "Red Line"elevated track at "Fullerton" ONLY(and not "Belmont") was correct.

I observed track crews working in the vicinity of the switch north of "Fullerton" station yesterday.

The second half of the Wells Street Bridge is sitting on a barge in the Chicago River, waiting to be floated into place.
 #1177784  by MACTRAXX

Chicagopcclcars wrote:
MACTRAXX wrote:
Chicagopcclcars wrote:

MACTRAXX

See: http://www.chicago-l.org/maps/track/Green-SouthSide.jpg

MACTRAXX
Your profile says you are located in the East, roughly 1000 miles away. That's one problem....we often get fans who live far removed and who look at track maps or read on Chicago "L". org and think they've solved something. First the Brown line reroute is only for five weekdays. Green line doesn't need additional service for those five days, it's doing just fine as it is. Second, the detoured Brown line trains are being turned at 37th St. Middle track, not at Roosevelt. They just go out of service t Roosevelt, officially. There is no turnback tracks available at Roosevelt or at 17th St. Junction. Passengers are permitted to ride and disembark at 35th/Bronzeville on the Green line before the detoured Browns turnback. This is not advertised. Three, about three or four trains already operate out of Midway on the Orange line and run as Brown line trains between the Loop and Kimball terminal. These trains are all rerouted to the Red line subway already during the five days. These trains are not advertised either, but they've run each detour day. They come south from Kimball, they carry red "Roosevelt" signs, but when they leave Roosevelt, they go through 17th St. junction and go on to Midway as an Orange line train.

Now the five month Red line Ryan closure will be a different operation altogether. That begins in mid May.

DH
DH: I note the location of that turning track mentioned at 37th Street to turn the Ravenswood trains
and it works for this detour fine...I was not aware how short term that it was at first...

I also was not aware that the CTA can-and does-run some trains thru to Midway from Kimball at times...
It shows that this option is available if need be...

I learned the CTA rail routes primarily thru my late Uncle who worked for CTA as a motorman from
1958 thru 1986 and got to use the CTA system on visits during what I call my Chicago "visiting years"
which was 1973 thru 1988...At one point I seriously thought of re-locating to Chicago during those
years and I knew that the CTA would have been "Nice Work if You Can Get It" (the name of a current
Broadway stage play starring Matthew Broderick - Remember "Ferris Bueller?)...

I just wonder how my Uncle would view today's CTA state of affairs with the condition of some of
the routes - the slow zones primarily - and changes like the color names - I use the true route names
because that is how I learned them back then and my personal dislike of CTA's color names...
My Uncle passed away in January 1988 after being retired for less then two years at that point...

I keep up on the CTA through websites like Graham Garfield's http://www.chicago-l.org and this one
which are a very good source of information showing the evolution of the CTA's rail system as
we all know...and it is good to learn of operations like these from those "in the know" here...

MACTRAXX
 #1178117  by Chicagopcclcars

But it turns out that the boarding change southbound at Fullerton is just a small change. Big news.....the rerouted Brown line trains will turn back at 63rd St. Middle Track on the Dan Ryan instead of 37th St. Middle Track on the Green line like in bridge project I. This means fewer trains on the incline that need to get meshed into NB subway operation. There will still be some trains on the incline, namely the Brown line reroutes from Midway. It is still unknown how far south they'll let passengers ride.....all the way to Garfield (Red)??????

DH