Railroad Forums 

• "chugging"

• Discussion of Electro-Motive locomotive products and technology, past and present. Official web site can be found here: http://www.emdiesels.com/.
Discussion of Electro-Motive locomotive products and technology, past and present. Official web site can be found here: http://www.emdiesels.com/.

Moderator: GOLDEN-ARM

#387554  by trainiac

When all the data from the above threads was recorded, what was the status of the air compressor? When the air compressor loads, a very distinct chug is created..... The Air Compressor just happens to be at the same rotational velocity as the engine crankshaft....
Most of my recordings are of trains that have been in run-8 for extended periods of time, and I've never been able to hear the air compressor over the engines (if it were running at all). I have heard the air compressor on a GP38-2 when idling. I find GE air compressors greatly overpower the engine itself in low throttle positions.
trainiac, here is something to play around with:

http://free-os.t-com.hr/redmist/ler.mp3

This is idle recorded from a little wooden bridge about 2 meters above the exhaust.

It's a 12-645 turbocharged engine
Interesting! I tried the frequency analyser on it and it didn't give very clear results from the original recording...

but when I increased the speed 3.35 times (to bring it up to the equivalent of 900 rpm) it created the same peaks at the same frequencies as for the 16-cylinder engines, including one at 90 Hz (6 beats per rev). The only difference from the 16-cylinder is the amplitude of each frequency.

Here's the sped-up version of the recording
http://trainiax.net/freq.wav

#387662  by Jtgshu

On an EMD, the air compressor is directly attached to the crankshaft and is spun by the crankshaft. Its just a matter of either "loading" or "unloading" which means that while its spinning (while the engine is running) its either compressing the air, or releasing it to atmosphere - its harder to tell when the engine is under a heavy load load, but from the seat you can usually tell when the air compressor is loading (charging) or unloading, when it is in lower RPMs - usually notch 4 or less.

Its interesting to hear that im not the only one who noticed the loudness at Notch 2. Usually at Notch 6, in the passenger trains I run at least, its at a speed where the sound of the loco rolling along the rail, the wind, the suspension, the rattles from the panels on the back of the control stand, and the various other squeaks and rattles start to drown out the sounds of the engine. while at Notch 2, its easier to hear, because usually the loco isn't going that fast, meaning there are less rattles and squeaks, and the engine is much easier to hear.

For example, while running through the Bergen Tunnels on the NJT MandE line - 30mph - if you put the loco in notch 2, the sound is overwhelming - notch 3 is MUCH quieter, as is notch 1 - but notch 2 drowns out the radio, the bell and your own thoughts, because its so loud!!!!!

#387768  by dieselsmoke

The original idea of chugging was about the exhaust sound, not the sounds coming from the block, so the compressor has nothing to do with it.

#389348  by ExEMDLOCOTester

So a reciprocating load won't change the rotational dynamics of a prime mover?

#389596  by Nelson Bay

ExEMDLOCOTester wrote:So a reciprocating load won't change the rotational dynamics of a prime mover?
Not according to the parallel axis theorem.

IP = ICM + Mh2

ICM represents an object's moment of inertia about its center of mass
h represents the perpendicular distance from any location, P, to the center of mass
IP represents an object's moment of inertia about any location, P

Total KE = ½ IP w2
½ ( ICM + mh2) w2
½ ICMw2 + ½ mh2 w2
½ ICMw2 + ½ m (r2w2)
½ ICMw2 + ½ mv2
KErotational + KEtranslational

Or as a railroader once said "Sum dem der injuns make funny noises!"

#390354  by ExEMDLOCOTester

Nelson Bay wrote:
ExEMDLOCOTester wrote:So a reciprocating load won't change the rotational dynamics of a prime mover?

IP = ICM + Mh2

h represents the perpendicular distance from any location, P, to the center of mass

Total KE = ½ IP w2
½ ( ICM + mh2) w2
½ ICMw2 + ½ mh2 w2
½ ICMw2 + ½ m (r2w2)
½ ICMw2 + ½ mv2

Inertia, noload ... Yes...

#401101  by dash7

Nelson Bay wrote:

IP = ICM + Mh2

Total KE = ½ IP w2
½ ( ICM + mh2) w2
½ ICMw2 + ½ mh2 w2
½ ICMw2 + ½ m (r2w2)
½ ICMw2 + ½ mv2

oh yeah i think? anyway to me they all sound pretty good!

#401735  by CN_Hogger

How about the 710's under load in notch 3, that just about makes your heart jump out of your chest....also great for setting off car alarms!