Railroad Forums 

• Quarry in Bridgewater/Martinsville

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey

Moderator: David

#39584  by crnrailal

The quarry on the west bound side of Rt 22. What nights of the week are the drill for loaded stone cars?

Is the stone for NJT, NS, CSX, or ME? Probably as purchased.

#39638  by TAMR213

It's Stavola quarry, a spur off of the RVL. I know NJT gets its ballest from there, and IIRC, the spur has space for 22 cars and a locomotive without crossing over 22. Not sure if other roads use it...
Last edited by TAMR213 on Sun Aug 01, 2004 3:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

#39788  by Ken W2KB

Does NJT use its locoamotives into the quarry?

#39885  by Notch 8

Transit uses their own locomotives for the moves and always at night. The quarry can hold 22 cars at a time for loading. To follow the Middlebrook Industrial Track just drive up Polemus Lane, the road parallels the track.

#39993  by Ken W2KB

Thanks for the info. I know where the track is. Just wondered if Transit had the right to go in there, or if it had to be handled by freight crews. To my knowledge, Transit does not own the track.

#40139  by JLo

I've seen an NJ Transit loco operate to and from the quarry. Usually around midnight, they will run a train across Rt 22 into the quarry. Although the 22 crossing is signaled, there is always a flag man. The stone cars are also stenciled NJT.

On a tangential note, the quarry is on the site of one of the key defensive positions of the Revolution. When Washington was in Morristown, Continental pickets held Chimney Rock pass against the British, who occupied New Brunswick. The quary has basically chopped down the 400 foot hill that kept the British at bay for half the war. And just about a mile further east is the site of Middlebrook encampment, where the Stars and Stripes flew for the first time. So endeth today's history lesson.