Railroad Forums 

• Q 634 & 635 & tank trains; which route?

• Discussion of the operations of CSX Transportation, from 1980 to the present. Official site can be found here: CSXT.COM.
Discussion of the operations of CSX Transportation, from 1980 to the present. Official site can be found here: CSXT.COM.

Moderator: MBTA F40PH-2C 1050

#1588498  by videobruce

Do these use the Water level Route or Sand Patch?
Also same question for the Oil & Ethanol 'K' trains that go to or from Sewaren & Linden NJ and IN or IL.

Based on info from here;
http://railroadfan.com/wiki/index.php/CSX_Train_Symbols
 #1588514  by videobruce

Anyone else, I don't recognize those numbers??
 #1588534  by NHV 669

What numbers? Robert already gave you the answer; any trains bound from PA west are going via Buffalo/Selkirk/Water Level.

These are K trains, not Q trains, they're literally listed in the link you provided.
 #1588583  by videobruce

He wasn't sure, I was looking for more input.
The towns I listed were the starting and ending terminals of those few K trains involved. It's still possible they could be routed via Sand patch is it not?
 #1588589  by videobruce

not wanting to do business in NYS (anti-north),
connecting to other traffic (pick up, drop),
crew shortages,
derailment,
local regulations (for the tank trains).
 #1588601  by NHV 669

A derailment is about the only option that makes sense, it would still make more sense to route via the tier/D&H, with what little traffic they have.

"Not wanting to do business in NYS" makes absolutely zero sense, given the three major yards CSX operates upstate, and the fact that they're running close to 40 trains a day between Buffalo and Selkirk.

Outside of combining say, a pair of ethanol/coal/etc. trains, unit trains wouldn't do any switching between terminating points.

Crews can be taxied anywhere, either the train gets delayed or it doesn't run at all as "scheduled" between points that day. That exact situation happened with I007 on Christmas Day, and it didn't run. A crew shortage isn't going to reroute a train on a class I.

Local regulations? Federal regulations governing railroads would supersede anything any town could attempt to put up, other than something like denying construction of a new terminal, which certainly doesn't apply here.
Last edited by NHV 669 on Tue Jan 04, 2022 4:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
 #1588604  by videobruce

There are many things that didn't make any sense when it come to CSX starting with all the business they chased away in this terminal and throughout the state..
 #1588620  by NHV 669

And yet, they're still moving thousands of cars a day on who knows how many trains throughout the whole state, and at a far faster rate than NS, who can't even move a single EB manifest from Bingo to ED in under 3 days with less than a handful of other trains to compete against.

The Q trains only go to Selkirk, which makes even less than zero sense to needlessly route three states in the wrong direction. Both trains cleared Fairport prior to 1230pm today on the Rochester Sub.