Railroad Forums 

• PVL passing sidings/off-peak trains

• Discussion related to New Jersey Transit rail and light rail operations.
Discussion related to New Jersey Transit rail and light rail operations.

Moderators: lensovet, Kaback9, nick11a

#652078  by cruiser939

oknazevad wrote:I wonder if these are changes reflecting the new operating philosophy of the Meadowlands branch, namely the use of shuttle trains from Hoboken, instead of through running from the PVL. From my understanding, the original idea of the pocket track was to layover trains during events, so they can get them to the Meadowlands more quickly. Since it seems they'll be using shorter, dedicated consists, instead of PVL trains, they don't need as long of a pocket track.
The Meadowlands shuttle will not be utilizing "shorter" consists. Additionally, the train sets will still store in/around the Meadowlands to prepare for the post-game travel.
 #652121  by ajt

The pocket track at Wood-Ridge was for headroom for NS while they worked the industrial spurs. Between most of the freight business drying up and some substantial work required to reposition the crossing gates, it's shelved for now.
 #654273  by Steve F45

does anyone know if there are plans to extend the siding in hackensack by the essex street station further north? I noticed today a bulldozer on the ROW between central ave and essex street leveling off the ground. No other construction or NJT equipment is near. Just found it odd that they would level this area off for no apparent reason.
 #654302  by ricknj

are you talking about the Essex St Siding ? I don't think they will extend it, They already have two tracks and i have never seen anything on the siding. They were regrading and repaving the grade crossing on Ford's sidng istoday it located on the east end of the Grove St runaround. maybe they were staging the equiment there.
 #654310  by Steve F45

This can't be related to the ford siding. The bulldozer had done some work already. It was at essex street yesterday and today it was at the central ave crossing. The essex street siding i've seen some MOW parked on there and occaisionally some flats.
 #1564825  by F40

Does anyone recall where the Oradell siding would have been built (i.e. east or west of the station) had the locals approved it? In addition, where was the other siding which was not built going to be?
 #1564872  by lensovet

F40 wrote: Tue Mar 02, 2021 7:13 pm Does anyone recall where the Oradell siding would have been built (i.e. east or west of the station) had the locals approved it? In addition, where was the other siding which was not built going to be?
The search function at the top of this thread would give you the answers to that: the Oradell siding was supposed to be adjacent to the golf course, while the second siding was supposed to be in Montvale.
 #1566931  by airman00

NJT should just build those additional sidings and just not broadcast it too loud, that they’re gonna do it. Keep it quiet and you keep the nimby’s at bay.
 #1567145  by Ken W2KB

airman00 wrote: Thu Mar 25, 2021 6:24 pm NJT should just build those additional sidings and just not broadcast it too loud, that they’re gonna do it. Keep it quiet and you keep the nimby’s at bay.
That is rather difficult to do with a NJ government entity as such is subject to open public meetings and the Open Public Records Act.
 #1567157  by R36 Combine Coach

Moses got things done "under the cover" often since NYS Public Authorities law allowed less public review of
these entities unlike executive departments and agencies. New Jersey does not seem have separate oversight
laws for independent authorities and they (NJT, NJTA/Turnpike Authority, NJSEA for example) have the same
OPRA and public disclosure requirements as executive agencies.
 #1567243  by airman00

Ken W2KB wrote: Sun Mar 28, 2021 5:37 pm
airman00 wrote: Thu Mar 25, 2021 6:24 pm NJT should just build those additional sidings and just not broadcast it too loud, that they’re gonna do it. Keep it quiet and you keep the nimby’s at bay.
That is rather difficult to do with a NJ government entity as such is subject to open public meetings and the Open Public Records Act.
Fine, then why can’t they just bury that discussion till the end of a 3 hour public meeting? And post the topic as NJT PVL Rail Improvement Project. Try to make it as vague as possible. I mean make the “public meeting announcement”, just don’t specifically mention Oradell & Montvale siding instillation, in the public announcement.
 #1567262  by airman00

lensovet wrote: Tue Mar 30, 2021 2:54 am …i thought you were kidding but i guess you aren't? this is not how this works…
Forgive my ignorance then. But my point was, there gotta be a way, somehow, to avoid the nimby’s, who would kill those additional PVL sidings in a heartbeat. Or at least minimize their impact so you could build the sidings.
 #1577288  by F40

This would be fine and dandy if NJT were a private organization, but being that it is funded by taxpayer dollars, anything NJT does needs to be approved by the taxpayers and go through the required public hearings.

This is why the HBLR will not make it to Tenafly (it's a shame since the tracks and the station house are already there). Though in my opinion it should terminate at Englewood Hospital in a way that will still easily allow for expansion someday.