Railroad Forums 

• Pueblo Colorado

• Discussion about the Union Pacific operations past and present. Official site can be found here: UPRR.COM.
Discussion about the Union Pacific operations past and present. Official site can be found here: UPRR.COM.

Moderator: GOLDEN-ARM

#89446  by LIRR272

Hello to all,

I'm heading to Pueblo colorado in March. I'm hoping to do some railfanning there and I would like to know does UP pass through Pueblo Colorado? If so, what are some good locations to railfan? Any info is greatly appreciated.

Thank you.

#89730  by The S.P. Caboose

I looked on Union Pacific's website and they do go thru Pueblo on the joint line.

#90025  by The S.P. Caboose

As far as railroad maps go it would be a good idea to go to http://www.greenfrog.com and chick on the atlas section. They've got atlas for the entire country.

#90128  by LIRR272

SP, Thanks for the info. I'll do some research regarding the joint line. I'm curious to know how will I know what the joint line in Pueblo once I get there. I did a mapquest check of Pueblo and saw railroad tracks running in the city. I would hate to be at one location and not see alot of action when the action is taking place at another location. Besides I only have one day to railfan.

#90161  by The S.P. Caboose

I got some more info for you LIRR. I started with an old (1986) DRGW system timetable finding out the joint line runs north/south out of Pueblo.
Tennessee Pass is an east/west line. I went to MSN and looked up Union Pacific on the yellow pages section. Turns out UP has an office on West B street very close to the 96 highway. If right you'll be north of there. If so you'll be close to the joint line. Highway 50 as well as E Platteville Boulevard crosses the joint line.

I hope this helps.

#90516  by LIRR272

SP, that definately helps. I'm going to pick up a map of Pueblo and map out my route.

#101055  by The S.P. Caboose

Hi LIRR;

I have been able to come up with some more info for you.

BNSF and UP both have yards in Denver as well as Pueblo. I think you'll be able to see some action while in town.

If you find yourself along the Arkansas River, I-24 and trackside; this is the Tennessee Pass, which is closed. I believe it was closed in 1997.

To get a line on the traffic on the joint line, try going to http://www.railroadradio.net they have several lines to monitor, the joint linr being one line, they have on their system. You'll be able to listen to the dispatchers talking to the crews in the field.

I hope this helps.

#109104  by espee

Hey, LIRR! Just wondering if you made your trip yet and if so, how did it go for ya? :-)