Railroad Forums 

• Providence & Worcester RS-3

• Topics relating to the operation of the P&W Railroad, which is a subsidiary of Genesee and Wyoming. Regional freight railroad based in Worcester and operating in Massachusetts, Rhode Island, Connecticut, and New York.
    Official Website
Topics relating to the operation of the P&W Railroad, which is a subsidiary of Genesee and Wyoming. Regional freight railroad based in Worcester and operating in Massachusetts, Rhode Island, Connecticut, and New York.
Official Website

Moderator: MEC407

#736484  by wseamo1

Hi,

I'm modeling the Providence & Worcester RS-3 and I have a few questions about the paint scheme.
I really appreciate any information you can share with me.

What color are the trucks?
What color is the fuel tank?
What color is the walkway side?
What color are the walking surfaces?

I'm modeling the orange, brown, and white scheme as seen at the below link:
http://www.rrpicturearchives.net/showPi ... ?id=275154
 #737306  by H.F.Malone

Who the H--L ever came up with WHITE as a color to be applied to an RS-3???!!!! Obviously, someone who knew NOTHING about 244-powered Alcos!!! At least the lower section was dark brown.
 #737350  by RonM

Must be a '70s thing... The Erie Western did it too!

BTW Atlas isn't always correct either... Anyone remember the Atlas/Kato D&H scheme from the 1980s?
 #737512  by ATK

Most of the P&W RS3's were ex-D&H units, that makes some of the details of the Atlas model incorrect for this locomotive. The D&H RS3's had a single bulb headlight instead of the standard twin-sealed beam headlight on the model, in addition the fuel tank was the larger length-wise mounted under the platform style tank instead of the smaller 800 gallon tank mounted across the width of the platform (also as seen on the model). The tank on the model between the air reservoirs and forward of the fuel tank is the water tank for the steam generator -- which of course is absent on the model (no exhaust stack on the short hood). And while we're being picky about the details, the air horn arrangement is wrong as well. D&H units had a single, 3-chime horn mounted on a bracket in front of the cab. On a related subject, here's another model that they managed to screw up the details:
http://www.atlasrr.com/Images/HOLocomot ... 20.75a.jpg

Seriously, don't these model companies do any research on the prototype before they start a new project???
 #737542  by Meyblc

Don't feel bad, Atlas didn't get the Boston & Maine RS-3's right either....but they still run better than the Athearn RTR RS-3's