Railroad Forums 

• Primer units

• Discussion relating to the NS operations. Official web site can be found here: NSCORP.COM.
Discussion relating to the NS operations. Official web site can be found here: NSCORP.COM.
 #150666  by NS143

Does anyone know a particular time NS will get all they're primer units painted? Does NS have a process in which locomotives are selected for painting. Thanks

#151201  by Kevin B.

I am by no means an expert, but I would think that they will simply paint them as traffic allows. NS is short on power most of the time, and the primer units pull trains just as well as painted ones do, so I'm sure they are in no hurry to get them all painted. They need the units "out in the field" doing what they were purchased to do, worse than they need them setting in a paint shop. They will most likely just keep painting one here and one there every so often until they are all painted.

#151532  by metman499

I believe that they are being painted as time allows, generally when they are at a shop for other work and there is a paint booth where the work is being done.

#157446  by NS143

At that rate it'll take them years to paint them all.

#157790  by Sam Damon

I would not fall over dead to learn NS decided to leave the units in primer because GE and EMD wanted more money to paint them, than it costs NS to do it themselves.

That seems to be how the business of railroading works.

#166466  by NS143

NS has painted several units in August but the painting seems to be slowing down.