Railroad Forums 

• Preaching to a choir...

• Discussion relating to Southeastern Pennsylvania Transportation Authority (Philadelphia Metro Area). Official web site can be found here: www.septa.com. Also including discussion related to the PATCO Speedline rapid transit operated by Delaware River Port Authority. Official web site can be found here: http://www.ridepatco.org/.
Discussion relating to Southeastern Pennsylvania Transportation Authority (Philadelphia Metro Area). Official web site can be found here: www.septa.com. Also including discussion related to the PATCO Speedline rapid transit operated by Delaware River Port Authority. Official web site can be found here: http://www.ridepatco.org/.

Moderator: AlexC

#79257  by LAUNCHman

I think we can all agree that what SEPTA needs to get up and do is just market to their constituents better. Maybe put a sticker or 8.5/11 on all bus shelters. Phase them in! Our only example of that is along market street... but there are just headway times listed. These are going to be marketing tools so they'll have to be more sophisticated. saying what bus routes go there, a map of the entire route, and scheduled times when it gets to that very point (approx).

I've been on SEPTA routes sometimes, especially in the northeast, and have not been able to figure out if I'm going north or south, and where to go when I get off. The major stops, at the very least, all have to be better labeled.

Perhaps you've seen Washington DC has something like this. I imagine clear channel and viacom might be against using their shelters for this purpose. But it wouldn't have to be big, and maybe SEPTA can even put up their own infrastructure. This sort of plan would help save the system, in my mind. You get riders on there more confident that they can get around where they need to. Right now it's a quagmire. So why does the transit agency not even consider the possible payoff of such a thing like Washington Metro?

When people go to cities like DC or NY they rave about the ease of use of the transit system. When people come here, its usually negative connotations and its not hard for me to see why. Sure the new PDF website is a step in the right direction... but there must be something more they can do.

And just issue PDF schedules on CD every year and either distribute for free or sell for $1 to cover expenses! This would reduce printing charges and keep paper consumption down. When you tell people to take 2 scheds at a time, you are turning them off. Hand us a CD with a system map and a list of 150 schedules and we'll react by riding more.

SEPTA needs to attract the ridership back in order to fix the budget. This is the 21st century, the "if you build it, people will come" strategy is obsolete. Gotta invest a little bit more.
Last edited by LAUNCHman on Tue Dec 21, 2004 6:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

#79260  by LAUNCHman

Just in the interest of staying on topic... the same strategy applies for train stations.

Jenkintown, Glenside, and Trevose are good examples.

At Trevose, you have to guess which way is inbound Philadelphia and which way is to Trenton. That Sucks!

At Glenside and Jenkintown, you have the generic combined timetable on a window somewhere, if that. I think you need color coded R2, R3, and R5 signs, easy to read, showing at the very least destination arrival times and peak/off peak pricing for places like Lansdale, Dtown, CC Phila, Paoli, Nova, Warminster, W Trenton, Trenton, and NYC Penn via NJT.

If these services are not advertised, then the only train riders you will get are the habitual folk. I think there is no doubt there is room to expand ridership, especially off-peak.

#79316  by NJTKid01

LAUNCHman, I believe that you have some great ideas. But, the problems are simply does SEPTA wants to go with that plan with .pdf timetables downloaded on disks? I see both a negative and positive side to this. I think its negative for people who don't have computers and cannot access the disk without the use of a computer. Also, I think that SEPTA might be better with the print of paper schedules, because it gives the SEPTA fan something to collect and put in their private collections and the general public can access it, very easy without the computer. The good thing is that, Compact Discs are extremely cheap and definitely can make a profit of that.