Railroad Forums 

• Power in the land down under (australia)

• General discussion about railroad operations, related facilities, maps, and other resources.
General discussion about railroad operations, related facilities, maps, and other resources.

Moderator: Robert Paniagua

#263921  by QR National

Greetings all! I thought you all would like to have a taste of things from Australia. I just got my new Canon 350D EOS for my birthday and decided to go railfanning today.

Where I am from (Perth, West Australia), they are building a new 73km, high speed inter-urban rail link to serve the southern suburbs of Perth. This is due to open in April 2007. I went down there to document the work trains and construction. I must say its very interesting to watch new track being laid!

One of the 10 stations being built. This is "Cockburn Central". The idea of the siding track is to have "shuttle services" from here to the centre of the city to have high frequency services. I know NJT do the same on its routes.

I then headed over to the South West Main line to see any coal or bauxite trains. I was lucky to see a QR National "S Class" working an empty bauxite and I paced it for a good 10km. The "S Class" are narrow gauge , 3000hp 12 cylinder 710G3 EMD engines which were built under contract by Clyde Engineering in 1998. They have a same engine as a F59 or GP59. The dual cab is handy as the trips they run are only 1hour each way to the mine and then an hour to the port for unloading.
Baldivis loop.

R1902 is ex-West Australian Government Railways and is now working for South Spur rail who have the contract to run the work trains. The R Class is an English Electric built diesel locomotive. Its pushing the flat bed wagons with a robot at the front which loads the sleepers onto the ground and feeds, welds and fixes the rail in place. Amazing stuff!!

The real treat for today, You dont get them in the USA and Canada, "English Electric" diesel locomotives. These are the "ZB Class" and were orginally built for Queensland Rail at the Rocklea (Qld) plant in 1965 for commuter trains in the Australian city of Brisbane. South Spur Rail got these 2nd hand for running these work trains. The line is being built on narrow gauge and will soon have overhead wires for the 3 or 6 car EMU's to do 130kph.
A shot from McDonalds!

Hope you all enjoy the photos! :)

#263930  by jg greenwood

Great shots, thanks!!!!!!!

#264132  by David Benton

Hi Qr National , thanks for the great shots , you may want to link to them in the worldwide forum as well .
The page does take a long time to load though , it would be better to provide links to the photos , rather than post the actual photos .

i wish we could send some of our auckland city politicans over to see whats been done in Perth , its exactly whats needed here , but they are still fighting over it .

#264536  by QR National

Hey Maikha! Nice to see a "familar" face 'round here! ;) RPA has been quite good for the past few weeks! I guess TransitJim isnt posting his usual? :-D