Railroad Forums 

• Potential new customer in maspeth...

• Discussion related to NYAR operations on Long Island. Official web site can be found here: www.anacostia.com/nyar/nyar.html. Also includes discussion related to NYNJ Rail, the carfloat operation successor to New York Cross Harbor that connects with NYAR.
Discussion related to NYAR operations on Long Island. Official web site can be found here: www.anacostia.com/nyar/nyar.html. Also includes discussion related to NYNJ Rail, the carfloat operation successor to New York Cross Harbor that connects with NYAR.
 #1308384  by DogBert

"Thai food supplier buys Maspeth industrial space for $20 million"
http://maspethblog.com/?p=1145" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

This is located right next to the yard. The building doesn't have a siding at the moment, though it did a long time ago.

There are 2 other asian food suppliers in the area that get cars - and if there's one thing NYC seems to have more of year after year, it's thai restaurants. Thus why I suspect they might a siding and cars, though that could be years from now considering how slow such things go.
 #1308704  by freightguy

If that's the case it will right in front Yang Shing(former A&P warehouse)traders and across from Norma Pac which took rolls of paper. I never remember a siding into that building but I'm sure one could be built right off track 8. I better another food place will buy Fresh Direct when they move to the Bronx in 2016.
 #1308795  by DogBert

There's some rail that is (or was) buried in the driveway, with some spots peeking out of the asphalt.

I'll be real surprised if another food customer doesn't grab fresh direct - or if fresh direct doesn't dismantle as much as they can so it won't be easily reusable... (allied scrapped out their building - looks like it's just an empty shell now).
 #1308968  by freightguy

They just cut in 2 more switches on the "C" secondary this weekend. I'm sure that ties in with Waste Management and part of the new Blissville yard.
 #1309087  by AlKaLI

Dogbert:

So Allied has already scrapped outh their building?! So with them gone and AMCO in Farmingdale, I guess there will be hardly any covered hoppers of plastic pellets for the NY&A.

On topic, I think the building used to be Cerro Wire. They also had a siding in the back of the building. It came off the curve of the last track on the right in the picture. This was the lead track for switching out the gravel from the tunnel project. When welded rail was laid down around 2003(?) on this siding, the switch for the back siding was removed.
 #1309121  by DogBert

AlKaLI wrote:Dogbert:

So Allied has already scrapped outh their building?! So with them gone and AMCO in Farmingdale, I guess there will be hardly any covered hoppers of plastic pellets for the NY&A.

On topic, I think the building used to be Cerro Wire. They also had a siding in the back of the building. It came off the curve of the last track on the right in the picture. This was the lead track for switching out the gravel from the tunnel project. When welded rail was laid down around 2003(?) on this siding, the switch for the back siding was removed.
Yes - allied had some metal storage tanks behind the building, which are gone. A scrap crew also ripped out a bunch of metal from inside the building.

The sidings are still in place, and the new crossing next to it includes a section of that siding, so I imagine at least for the short term the allied siding will live on.