Railroad Forums 

• R1 observations

• Discussion relating to Southeastern Pennsylvania Transportation Authority (Philadelphia Metro Area). Official web site can be found here: www.septa.com. Also including discussion related to the PATCO Speedline rapid transit operated by Delaware River Port Authority. Official web site can be found here: http://www.ridepatco.org/.
Discussion relating to Southeastern Pennsylvania Transportation Authority (Philadelphia Metro Area). Official web site can be found here: www.septa.com. Also including discussion related to the PATCO Speedline rapid transit operated by Delaware River Port Authority. Official web site can be found here: http://www.ridepatco.org/.

Moderator: AlexC

#94323  by orangeline

On Monday I flew into PHL and decide to ride the R1 train from the airport to Suburban Station. The ride was very quick and smooth and relatively cheap.

I have several observations that I'm hoping someone more familiar with SEPTA can answer for me.

1. At the airport station (Terminal E) the ticket vending machines all said they do not accept the "New" $5, $10, and $20 bills. Why? Those bills were "New" (off-center and larger portraits) years ago! Also the change machines said they return dollar coins. Are those still in circulation? I'm just very happy that there was no surchrge for paying on board!

2. The car I rode on was #9009, with Class REB-13 stencilled on the side. Inside, the builder's plate said it was built by Budd and rebuilt by Morrison-Knudsen in 1989 (maybe 1988). The car had large oval windows (larger than obviously newer cars) and metal panels outside centered over the windows that once carried the original owner's name. Could this be a relic from PRR (maybe Reading?) days?

3. I got off at Suburban station and was surprised to see it looked brighter and cleaner than I remember it (from the early '90s). When did this happen?

4. At the airport the signs for the SEPTA rail service called it the "R1" line. However, the trainmen put up signs referring to my ride as the "R6" Norristown Limited. A lot of riders became confused and a few got off the train before the conductor assured them it would take them to Center City. If all the signs and timetables call the airport line the "R1", why not just stick wth "R1"?
 #94339  by SEPTALRV9072

orangeline wrote:On Monday I flew into PHL and decide to ride the R1 train from the airport to Suburban Station. The ride was very quick and smooth and relatively cheap.

I have several observations that I'm hoping someone more familiar with SEPTA can answer for me.

1. At the airport station (Terminal E) the ticket vending machines all said they do not accept the "New" $5, $10, and $20 bills. Why? Those bills were "New" (off-center and larger portraits) years ago! Also the change machines said they return dollar coins. Are those still in circulation? I'm just very happy that there was no surchrge for paying on board!
Well SEPTA's TVMs are extremely outdated and they don't have the technology to be reprogramed to recognize the new bills.
2. The car I rode on was #9009, with Class REB-13 stencilled on the side. Inside, the builder's plate said it was built by Budd and rebuilt by Morrison-Knudsen in 1989 (maybe 1988). The car had large oval windows (larger than obviously newer cars) and metal panels outside centered over the windows that once carried the original owner's name. Could this be a relic from PRR (maybe Reading?) days?
First off all RRD cars numbered in the 9000s are ex Reading Cars. There is one PRR car 269 that lost its plates and proudly say PENNSYLVANIA on each side.
3. I got off at Suburban station and was surprised to see it looked brighter and cleaner than I remember it (from the early '90s). When did this happen?
Suburban is in the process of being overhauled. THey put new lighting and everything in there.
4. At the airport the signs for the SEPTA rail service called it the "R1" line. However, the trainmen put up signs referring to my ride as the "R6" Norristown Limited. A lot of riders became confused and a few got off the train before the conductor assured them it would take them to Center City. If all the signs and timetables call the airport line the "R1", why not just stick wth "R1"?
That's the joys of the cross routing of the RRD. At the end of the line the train crew will put up signs of the route they'll be traveling to when they return to the city. It does often confuse a lot of passengers.

#94347  by greg19051

I believe that the 9000 series are Silverliner IIs which were built in the early 1960's.

#94372  by njtmnrrbuff

I think you are right. Those silverliner IIs are nice toys, and then can really ride well. You need that equipment if the stops on your line are close to one another.
 #94474  by JeffK

orangeline wrote:Also the change machines said they return dollar coins. Are those still in circulation?
Of course! The only coins that the U.S. has demonetized are gold and denominations that were discontinued like the half-dime. In fact, in cities where the transit systems actively use dollar coins they tend to circulate in other commerce as well.

Note that most other countries eliminated their dollar (or equivalent) note years ago. Canada, The U.K. and the E.U in fact have 2-unit ($/£/€)coins as well.

There's public resistance in this country to a dollar coin, yes, but those other places managed to make it work w/o a revolt. A significant reason we still spend ~$1B a year printing dollar notes plus $500 per vending machine for bill acceptors is that Crane Paper, the sole supplier of banknote stock, is based in Teddy Kennedy's district.

But back to SEPTA ...
I'm just very happy that there was no surcharge for paying on board!
The Airport is one of the few places where there are TVMs but no surcharge. SEPTA finally got wise to the idea that it's really stupid to p!$$ off first-time visitors by nicking them for extra money simply 'cause they're not familiar with the system. Doesn't stop them at other stations, though.

#94642  by orangeline

Thanks everyone for your help! It's much appreciated!

#97373  by jfrey40535

Looks like the R1 is now operating single track from Term A to F. I suppose this is because of the new platforms now on both sides of the train. Can we expect the other track to be pulled up?

#98085  by Silverliner II

If we would quit making the 1-dollar note, we'd have no choice but to accept the dollar coins. That's why it's not been as big a problem in other countries.....they simply took their single notes out of circulation. But it's never going to happen.

And nope, that second track is not going anyewhere. It still gets occasional use, especially if a train is seriously late leaving the Airport or if it is closed for maintenance.