Railroad Forums 

• MARTA Breda Rail Cars vs WMATA (Metrorail) Breda Rail Cars

• General discussion of passenger rail systems not otherwise covered in the specific forums in this category, including high speed rail.
General discussion of passenger rail systems not otherwise covered in the specific forums in this category, including high speed rail.

Moderators: mtuandrew, gprimr1

#432869  by marta_rider

I was just wondering why is it that MARTA's Breda CQ312 series rail cars don't sound like or close to any other Breda car like WMATA's. Also MARTA's Breda cars don't experience any of the problems WMATA's do like derailing or rollbacks. Can anyone shed some light on the differences between the MARTA's BredaCQ312 Series and WMATA Breda 2000,3000, and 4000 series.
 #531487  by tommyboy6181

marta_rider wrote:I was just wondering why is it that MARTA's Breda CQ312 series rail cars don't sound like or close to any other Breda car like WMATA's. Also MARTA's Breda cars don't experience any of the problems WMATA's do like derailing or rollbacks. Can anyone shed some light on the differences between the MARTA's BredaCQ312 Series and WMATA Breda 2000,3000, and 4000 series.
There are several differences between the cars for MARTA and WMATA. First, the propulsion systems for the WMATA cars are either the Westhinghouse 1462 DC motors (unrehabbed cars) or the Alstom ONIX 2000 AC motors (rehabbed by Alstom). MARTA uses the AdTranz 1508 AC motors which are also used by the NYC subway (also used on all MARTA rehabbed cars by Alstom).

Second, MARTA uses a stainless steel car body while WMATA uses extruded aluminum.

Third, I believe WMATA uses an Alstom signaling system. Not sure on MARTA though it wouldn't surprise me if they were the same since Alstom (Franco-Belge) built the original cars.

For the rollback system, it could be with using a different propulsion software package. Not sure but those are some of the differences between the 2 systems.

#531609  by gt7348b

MARTA's Bredas do have a problem with their door mechanisms. Usually not closing or only half opening. There have also been some issues with the HVAC systems too.

On a related topic, the Alstom rebuild program of the Hitachi and Franco-Belge cars seems to be going well.