Railroad Forums 

Discussion relating to the past and present operations of CPR. Official web site can be found here: CPKCR.com. Includes Kansas City Southern. There is also a KCS sub-forum for prior operations: kansas-city-southern-and-affiliates-f153.html

Moderators: Komachi, Ken V

#891178  by ckwwestshore

I am from Western New York, where many CP/DME/ICE ethanol trains, as well as CP Run-Through and Transfers come down from Canada into Buffalo. I used to see SOOs all the time on these trains, and now, I rarely see one/hear of one at all! What particular service in what areas are the SOO SD60s in? Are they used at all on DME ethanol trains?

Charlie
 #891372  by mtuandrew

Chicagorail1 wrote:Bunch went to Indiana Railroad, a while back

http://railpictures.net/viewphoto.php?id=186030&nseq=0

Bunch around St. Paul on transfer runs, and rock trains out of Dresser, Wi..
Dresser? On CN? I didn't think CP still used that quarry much or at all.
 #891608  by Chicagorail1

The go to Dresser Wi. almost daily in the spring, summer, and fall. It is over the CN, but except for the Minnesota Transportation Museum, and the CP, the CN doesn't utilize the quarry or the line to Dresser. It is a very active quarry, believe it or not.
 #891659  by mtuandrew

Oh, no, I believe you. I just thought I remembered hearing that CP got its ballast from somewhere else, since the Dresser Trap Rock operation wasn't on their system anymore.

(I'm also an MTM member myself, though I haven't been to Osceola in years. Does MTM still operate a wayfreight on CN's behalf, like they sometimes did under WC?)
 #891705  by Chicagorail1

I am not sure about the way-freight, i stay off the east side pool (covers dresser rock trains, and trains to Roseport; This pool is home after every trip, but its still on call 24/7)so i never get out to Dresser. Never even took a familiarization trip, since i never plan on working anywhere but the yard since i transferred up here 4 years ago. I like my Saturday/Sundays off, and purposely mark to afternoons with the same start time Mon-Fri. I have switched out plenty of Dresser rock trains in Humboldt, they ship that rock EVERYWHERE, including other railroads bring there cars here to be filled too. DMV Railroad out of North Dakota had a few unit trains get filled and also Herzog has a bunch of trains filled also.
 #941717  by E Runs

I saw a Soo headed westbound on track 2 through Galewood last night around 5:40 pm.
 #959067  by gp9rm4108

SOO power is quite common on CP's south line out of Winnipeg into and out of the States.
 #983314  by Minneapolitan

ckwwestshore wrote:What particular service in what areas are the SOO SD60s in? Are they used at all on DME ethanol trains?
Ha! Nope. Pretty much all road power we get - leasers included - are SD40-2s. But I've heard we may start getting SD60s...eventually. SOOs are everywhere up here in the Twin Cities.
Chicagorail1 wrote:Bunch went to Indiana Railroad, a while back

http://railpictures.net/viewphoto.php?id=186030&nseq=0
Disgusting. That photo made me a little more empty inside...
davem60612 wrote:im a yard hogger out of bensenville and i run soo power every single day.
PLEASE stop sending us trains with only two units. We need at least three to get up Stockton Hill. About a month ago we burnt the hell out of our lead traction motor. I had no idea they could smoke like that!

And stop sending us those leasers. They're all junk!