Railroad Forums 

• Former SP Unit In Bad Shape

• Discussion about the Union Pacific operations past and present. Official site can be found here: UPRR.COM.
Discussion about the Union Pacific operations past and present. Official site can be found here: UPRR.COM.

Moderator: GOLDEN-ARM

#92713  by Kevin B.

I saw this photo of a former SP SD70M, and it is in pretty bad shape. http://www.railpictures.net/viewphoto.php?id=92222 Does a railroad usually fix a locomotive with that kind of damage, or do they just scrap it? It would be a shame to see this unit go "under the torch", but I guess that yellow paint has already done more damage than anything else could! :-)

#92726  by AmtrakFan

Kevin,
I would think they would repair it.

John
 #92731  by GOLDEN-ARM

LOOKS LIKE A FUEL FIRE. I WORKED OUT OF HOUSTON, FOR 5 YEARS, AT ENGLEWOOD. THE PICTURE IS CURIOUS. THE DAMAGE IS MOSTLY COSMETIC, BUT THE LOCO LOOKS TO BE IN A SALVAGE YARD, JUDGING FROM THE PILES OF PARTS. I SEEM TO REMEMBER THESE ENGINES BEING LEASED, NOT OWNED (?) IF SO, THEN EMD WOULD PROBABLY "GET THE NOD" TO REPAIR, OR FARM OUT THE REPAIRS. OTHER THAN HOSES AND GASKETS, NOT TOO MUCH TO BE DAMAGED IN THAT AREA, EXCEPT FOR SOME MEDIUM VOLTAGE WIRING. THE UNIT WAS RETALIATING FOR THE U.P. PAINTJOB. ("WE ARE U.P., PREPARE TO BE ASSIMILATED") ANY IDEA THE LOCALE OF THAT PIC ?

#92743  by crazy_nip

that is hardly any damage at all

probabally blew a hole in the crankcase and started an oil fire

not much more than sheet metal damage and some re-wiring needed

any likely whatever damage to the prime mover will need to be repaired
 #92830  by emd_SD_60

GOLDEN-ARM wrote:LOOKS LIKE A FUEL FIRE. I WORKED OUT OF HOUSTON, FOR 5 YEARS, AT ENGLEWOOD. THE PICTURE IS CURIOUS. THE DAMAGE IS MOSTLY COSMETIC, BUT THE LOCO LOOKS TO BE IN A SALVAGE YARD, JUDGING FROM THE PILES OF PARTS. I SEEM TO REMEMBER THESE ENGINES BEING LEASED, NOT OWNED (?) IF SO, THEN EMD WOULD PROBABLY "GET THE NOD" TO REPAIR, OR FARM OUT THE REPAIRS. OTHER THAN HOSES AND GASKETS, NOT TOO MUCH TO BE DAMAGED IN THAT AREA, EXCEPT FOR SOME MEDIUM VOLTAGE WIRING. THE UNIT WAS RETALIATING FOR THE U.P. PAINTJOB. ("WE ARE U.P., PREPARE TO BE ASSIMILATED") ANY IDEA THE LOCALE OF THAT PIC ?
It was taken at the National Railway Equipment shops in Mt. Vernon, Illinois.

#93218  by Paul

That's nothing. I have seen them come in with half a locomtive torn off and they rebuild them. This is just some wiring and a lick o' paint.