Railroad Forums 

• Visiting Philly, Just a few questions about SEPTA

• Discussion relating to Southeastern Pennsylvania Transportation Authority (Philadelphia Metro Area). Official web site can be found here: www.septa.com. Also including discussion related to the PATCO Speedline rapid transit operated by Delaware River Port Authority. Official web site can be found here: http://www.ridepatco.org/.
Discussion relating to Southeastern Pennsylvania Transportation Authority (Philadelphia Metro Area). Official web site can be found here: www.septa.com. Also including discussion related to the PATCO Speedline rapid transit operated by Delaware River Port Authority. Official web site can be found here: http://www.ridepatco.org/.

Moderator: AlexC

#89481  by Umblehoon

Mdlbigcat wrote:Finally, in order to survive in Philadelphia, [with all of the BS that goes on around here] you have to be a sarcastic jerk.
Wow, bro, I sense an awful lot of pent-up bitterness and anger. Please tell me you use SEPTA to get around, and don't subject the rest of the area to road rage?

#89627  by Mdlbigcat

Umblehoon wrote:
Mdlbigcat wrote:Finally, in order to survive in Philadelphia, [with all of the BS that goes on around here] you have to be a sarcastic jerk.
Wow, bro, I sense an awful lot of pent-up bitterness and anger. Please tell me you use SEPTA to get around, and don't subject the rest of the area to road rage?

I am bitter and angry because Philly is such a great city, and it is sullied by ass-backward attitudes and politics. This town abuses its most needed institutions [the sad state of the schools, the mis-treatment of the Free Library, the way people diss and destroy SEPTA [with graffitti, scratchitti, and the general bad behavior on the buses and subways], and the general negativity that pervades throughout daily life in this town.], and they do not live up to it's lofty slogan " City of Brotherly Love ".

I got sick of the entire mess and moved to NJ in '90, and frankly, I haven't looked back. I am disheartened watching this city continue it's slow death as other cities like Boston and NYC get rejuvenated time and time again.

I wish just for once, that the people who we put in leadership positions would get off their collective duff and LEAD, instead of just sitting there collecting a taxpayer funded pay check, or grant, or whatever. Show some VISION and work towards making it come true. This town does not have to be in the shadows of NYC and DC. We can be a great town on its own.

#89729  by chuchubob

Umblehoon wrote:
Mark doesn't do road rage.

#89751  by Urban D Kaye

Anyone remember the public relations campaign that spawned the slogan...Philadelphia, the city that loves you back."? First time I heard that I wondered if its author had ever been to Philly. Or ever heard of "Eagles Court." If they had...they'd have called it "the city that hits you back." Personally I like Septa's slogan better..."You can't beat the system." Ain't that the truth.

I agree with bigcat that Philly has missed some great opportunities for growth (the Disney complex at 9th & Market comes to mind), has nearly missed others (e.g., Naval shipyard revitalization), and has resisted change at almost every step (how long did it take Philly to extend regional rail to the Airport?) Humorist Dave Barry referred to this area as "The Dumb Belt" and not without cause. But before I crap on this city too much, let me say a few good things. During Ed Rendell's service as mayor, Philly became known as a convention town, a hotel town, a restaurant town, and a location for Hollywood movies. Not bad. I remember living in the Society Hill area from 1967-1974. It was just rebounding from being a wasteland where colonial-era structures stood abandoned, and a Sunday afternoon walk revealed not another human face on the street. Trust me, despite this town's provincial mindset, we have been dragged (kicking and screaming perhaps) into the 21st Century.

-Urban

#92828  by pdxstreetcar

Thanks for the information. I am going this weekend to Philadelphia and will be staying with a friend about a block from the 40th Street portal. I hope to take a lot of pictures as long as the weather is somewhat decent.