Railroad Forums 

• Will BNSF hire someone with a DUI for a telecom tech job?

• General discussion about working in the railroad industry. Industry employers are welcome to post openings here.
General discussion about working in the railroad industry. Industry employers are welcome to post openings here.

Moderator: thebigc

#912241  by TelecomTech

I was wondering if BNSF hires anyone with a DUI on their driving record for any position? I'm a telecom technician looking to work for BNSF as a telecom tech but I'm wondering if I'm wasting my time because I have a DUI on my driving record. The reason that I'm asking for information is because I have a job offer from another company that pays half of what BNSF would pay. Thus I would rather work for BNSF and I would not want to start employment with the other company and then have to quit on them to work with BNSF.
BNSF has posted a Telecom Tech job on their website and they say the ad will end in a week. Reading the forums, BNSF will take 2-6 weeks to contact you for an interview. Also reading the forums I see that no one thinks you will get hired if you have a DUI but on the BNSF online application when you disclose that you have a DUI on your driving record the application doesn't automatically state that you are disqualified? Since being unemployed for almost a year and applying to many companies I've found only one company that automatically disqualifies you from the process when you enter such information. I think its good business to let candidates know immediately what facts automatically disqualify you from employment with their company. It allows candidates and employers to not waste each others time and streamline the process.
Understanding that every human resource department is different and I probably just have to wait and see what happens. But does anyone have any real life experience or similar situation regarding getting hired or disqualified from BNSF because of a DUI?
Thanks in advance...
 #913399  by TelecomTech

Thanks for responding recklessendangerment,
I was thinking no one would want to reply for fear of being discovered or something like that. When you applied did you do it online or was it long ago and you actually got to meet someone?

By the way, "Thanks for your service", in case no one has said it to you lately.
 #915058  by TelecomTech

Thanks for replying Robert,
The DUIs happened out of state and when I recently moved and transfered my valid drivers license the DUIs didn't show up on my drivers abstract report. Apparently every state has its own DMV rules and regulations so in this case it benefits me. After researching state DMV laws and records I found that every state has its own system of reporting and record keeping. Although there is much talk about a national databases (National Drivers Compact Law?) I've found that not every state chooses to participate in it and still each state has its own system. And I've discovered that even participating states in the national database system often fail to check records before issuing licenses. Its kind of sad because with current technology you would think its automatic but many states because they all have different computer systems require a manual check from a DMV employee to confirm records.

Note: I understand how wrong it is to drink and drive and luckily in my case there was no accidents/injuries just a checkpoint and over the legal limit situation. I lost my license for a long period of time and during such time I didn't drive an inch. During that time I had to buy a bicycle and use that for transportation. I had to be driven by family members to get groceries and that was sad to say the least. During that time I was already out of work and couldn't get a new job without being able to transport myself. Perspective jobs were not located near public transportation/bus lines (bike riding was not an option because of the distance). Finally, thanks to family, I made it through the suspension period, paid all the fines and restored my license. A lesson learned and an ordeal not to be repeated. I'm a bit proud that I didn't even try to drive during my suspension and the fact that I took my suspension seriously.

On a good note, I recently accepted a new job in retail. It pays half of what BNSF would pay but its the best/only offer I had in almost a year. I still have hopes that BNSF would respond someday so I'm gonna check my email daily or re-apply in the future.
 #915391  by TelecomTech

That's good to know that you can make it to an interview thus proving that BNSF doesn't use an automatic disqualification system.

Note: The retail job (national chain store) that I recently accepted doesn't use an automatic disqualification system either. My supervisor told me in confidence that the hiring manager interviewed 50-60 people from within the company and looked at a hundred resumes. Although my resume didn't include any retail jobs he said the hiring manager was very impressed after our interview and made his decision based on that. This job is very desirable, especially to current experienced employees within the company, so it makes me feel good that I got it based on being interviewed in person.

Well I hope you get the job!