Railroad Forums 

• Will the snowstorm affect operations?

• Discussion of the operations of CSX Transportation, from 1980 to the present. Official site can be found here: CSXT.COM.
Discussion of the operations of CSX Transportation, from 1980 to the present. Official site can be found here: CSXT.COM.

Moderator: MBTA F40PH-2C 1050

#90326  by CSX Conductor

If you are asking whether any trains have already been annulled in preparation of the storm, I don't think so yet.

After-all, CSXT is re-active, no pro-active. :(

#90330  by sammy

Just checked the weather in Boston, hows that 18% feel? Its a swety 73 here in Bama.

#90338  by mu26aeh

I wasn't asking, I just needed to say that. I know a couple people here are dying to ask "Due to the snowstorm, is CSX cancelling any service/trains?"

just a little joke seeing that we have been so hard on some lately

#90350  by starionwolf

CSX has posted a weather alert on csx.com. I hope the trains will still run all day while the snow is falling.

#90371  by roadster

There still runnin, but slow, outlaws on the horizon. Have recieved 6 inches of snow in the last 5 hrs, expecting another 10 -15 by tomorrow, temp. hovering around 3 degrees, got down to -18 last night. welcome to western NY.

#90448  by CSX Conductor

White gold !!! :-D

#90534  by Noel Weaver

CSX Conductor wrote:White gold !!! :-D
AKA BLOOD MONEY!!!!
Noel Weaver

#90582  by mu26aeh

At least on the Hanover Sub, traffic is at a standstill. No trains since they plowed the roads cause the plowlane still blocks the tracks.

#90622  by The S.P. Caboose

I feel sorry for you guys in the northeast. Sunny and 75 in LA.

On a serious note, doesn't CSX use snow removal equipment? On Donner Pass the Union Pacific has available the use of snow spreaders and rotaries.

#90643  by CSX Conductor

The last couple years there wasn't really too much on the mainline, so a pair of lite engines was used in a few cases. Snow-jets were used to clear out interlockings. There was a snow extra last year that took care of some of the secondaries.

As for now, the governor delcared a state of emergency last night and I do not think it has been lifted as of yet because the snow is still coming down.

As for snow removal in the yards, usually just a snow-jet.

#90676  by roadster

CSX has that snow cat thing, the snowblower on steriods the SB1000 I think. It went east through Rochester yesterday afternoon enroute to Selkirk then who knows. It's a modern version of a rotary sort of. it has 2 smaller highspeed blades mounted side by side and a chute simular to your home snowblower to direct the snow as needed. It runs on it's own power and is mounted on a turntable above the trucks so it can reverse directions. There are a few plows left for the usual tough areas, like the St. Lawrence sud. north of Syracuse NY, the Berkshires on the B&A between Selkirk and Boston.