Railroad Forums 

Discussion of Canadian Passenger Rail Services such as AMT (Montreal), Go Transit (Toronto), VIA Rail, and other Canadian Railways and Transit

Moderator: Ken V

#887515  by Highball

I am planning a trip to Calgary from the East in the spring on VIA.

Was wondering if any board member has experienced with getting from Edmonton to Calgary with convenient use of bus or rental car ?

Suggestions ?........( Wishing VIA was still servicing Calgary on CP )

Thanks !
 #887618  by NS VIA FAN

Highball wrote:I am planning a trip to Calgary from the East in the spring on VIA.

Was wondering if any board member has experienced with getting from Edmonton to Calgary with convenient use of bus or rental car ?

Suggestions ?........( Wishing VIA was still servicing Calgary on CP ) Thanks !
Not a problem at all.

Take a taxi downtown to Greyhound from the VIA Station. There are 7 buses/day, fare is around $45 and take about 4 hours.

And Hertz has a car rental office at the VIA Station.
 #888619  by Highball

Thanks NS VIA FAN for your suggestions......Greyhound service to Calgary will certainly suffice and take about as much time as I wish to be on a bus.

I was checking some old VIA Timetables for Calgary - Edmonton train service. The system timetables of the early 80's reflect both train and Greyhound Bus schedules.....Train #'s being 194 thru 197, which I assume was RDC.

What year did train service cease ?

I know that the Calgary - Edmonton corridor is undergoing " another study " for High Speed Rail......much like Quebec City - Windsor has in the last decade or so. With the distance ( approximate 300 kms ) and population involved of the Calgary - Edmonton corridor, it certainly falls into the category of where High Speed Rail is viable and effective.