Railroad Forums 

• SP/UP Oil Cans

• Discussion about the Union Pacific operations past and present. Official site can be found here: UPRR.COM.
Discussion about the Union Pacific operations past and present. Official site can be found here: UPRR.COM.

Moderator: GOLDEN-ARM

#78887  by The S.P. Caboose

I knew when Southern Pacific started the "Oil Cans" they would operate between Saco (near Bakersfield) and Shell Oil (Near Dolores Yard in Long Beach).

In recent years Union Pacific has run the oil cans along the coast. I want to say they operate between West Santa Barbara and Shell Oil, but I'm not sure.

Can anybody help out with any information? Thanks ahead of time.

#87976  by The S.P. Caboose

I found out today that the oil cans origin is Wunpost. Wunpost being 62.4 miles north/west of San Luis Obispo.

#88063  by AmtrakFan

How many Tankers run on each train?

John

#88150  by The S.P. Caboose

They run with 78 tankers on each train. The train carriers 1,848,600 gallons of crewd oil and wieghs 10,608 tons plus locomotives. Nomally U.P. has 3 units on the point, I'm not sure if they use helpers along Cuesta grade, I would think that they would. The elevation in this area maxs out at 1,323 feet with a 2% grade. At Santa Margarita the elevation is 1,000 feet and at San Luis Obispo the elevation is 287 feet. The units assigned to this train are usually AC6000's.

#88153  by AmtrakFan

The S.P. Caboose wrote:They run with 78 tankers on each train. The train carriers 1,848,600 gallons of crewd oil and wieghs 10,608 tons plus locomotives. Nomally U.P. has 3 units on the point, I'm not sure if they use helpers along Cuesta grade, I would think that they would. The elevation in this area maxs out at 1,323 feet with a 2% grade. At Santa Margarita the elevation is 1,000 feet and at San Luis Obispo the elevation is 287 feet. The units assigned to this train are usually AC6000's.
Thanks for the help. I've seen them before on Amtrak.

John