Railroad Forums 

• Worcester Line Track Work, 05-05-2010

• Guilford Rail System changed its name to Pan Am Railways in 2006. Discussion relating to the current operations of the Boston & Maine, the Maine Central, and the Springfield Terminal railroads (as well as the Delaware & Hudson while it was under Guilford control until 1988). Official site can be found here: PANAMRAILWAYS.COM.
Guilford Rail System changed its name to Pan Am Railways in 2006. Discussion relating to the current operations of the Boston & Maine, the Maine Central, and the Springfield Terminal railroads (as well as the Delaware & Hudson while it was under Guilford control until 1988). Official site can be found here: PANAMRAILWAYS.COM.

Moderator: MEC407

#877032  by StillRiver

Thinking back over the 8 years I've lived in the area, it would seem that the rail is in much worse shape than I remember. Just about every joint was beat as far as I could see, in many cases a layer of steel is separating from the head, and the head of almost every stick of rail was mushed and worn over so there was complete contact between the tire profile and the rail head.
When does rail become so worn out that it simply is necessary to replace it when it is in use constantly? We're not talking about a once a week branch line here.
 #877137  by jaymac

While I do look at the world through glasses, rose-colored -- especially when it comes to PAR -- they're not. Going east on the Worcester line, however, a large amount of work has been done. Yes, low joints and brinnelled rail are still around, but new ties, new stone, and new crossings have been prominent this season. Whether this is preparation for rail change-outs is another matter. PAR and CSX seem to be playing rate-division games with PAS and NS, with an increase traffic through Barber. CSX is letting its power go east to Rigby again, which greatly expedites D-2 operations by eliminating the complications of Lowell-area power swaps, so the folks down south may be exerting some "influence" on PAR to make things better compass north of Worcester. We'll all get to see, especially next season, how committed PAR is in spending money to make money.
 #881196  by jaymac

On 12-14-2010 at 1345, a tie (?) critter, solo and unattended, was on the old Ziff Paper siding at Shrewsbury St., West Boylston. The same time the day before, it wasn't. Does seem like an unlikely spot for hibernation, so mebbe it's just waiting for a flatbed ride to winter quarters.
 #887564  by jaymac

As of 1350 on 01-06-2011, the tie critter that had been on the old Ziff siding at the Shrewsbury Street, W. Boylston, crossing since 12-13 has gone elsewhere.
 #1338621  by frrc

Track is beyond pitiful, chased a train from the Summit to Cinton a few weeks ago, and had spare time to get lunch, gas up the truck, and still had to wait track side. I'm guessing speeds are in the 10mph range ? Maybe, if not already, the State of MA will buy the line....

JoeF
 #1338658  by jaymac

It still was in the last ETT I saw, although the spelling may have typoed from "Maim," given the adjacency of "m" and "n" on the keyboard. The alpha mileage prefix is -- perhaps significantly -- "X."
This used to be 60-mph territory, with the exception of Yard Limits, the Breakneck Ledges in West Boylston, and the reverse curves east of Oakdale and in Sterling.
 #1338667  by MEC407

Rockingham Racer wrote:If so, it might take the prize for the slowest main track in the country. :wink:
Can't be worse than the Freight Main Line east of Waterville!
 #1338671  by Rockingham Racer

MEC407 wrote:
Rockingham Racer wrote:If so, it might take the prize for the slowest main track in the country. :wink:
Can't be worse than the Freight Main Line east of Waterville!
Forgot about that one. Same "railroad", though! The word "railroad" is in quotes for a reason.
 #1338672  by F-line to Dudley via Park

They don't have CSX barking at them over speeds on the main north of Waterville like they do Worcester-Ayer, however. I would imagine that despite being able to ignore most of their overhead tenant's objections to those track conditions that it isn't 100% consequence-free for them to not be keeping up appearances down there.
 #1338673  by MEC407

Instead of putting white duct tape on the noses of locomotives, the Bandit should put quotation marks around the "Railways" part of Pan Am Railways :wink:

I can see it now...

PAN AM "RAILWAYS"

heh heh heh
 #1338675  by newpylong

F-line to Dudley via Park wrote:They don't have CSX barking at them over speeds on the main north of Waterville like they do Worcester-Ayer, however. I would imagine that despite being able to ignore most of their overhead tenant's objections to those track conditions that it isn't 100% consequence-free for them to not be keeping up appearances down there.
CSX doesn't care how slow the Worcester Main is.